E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2007-03-07

FOR MY GIRL

If I could take your pain away for one second, I wouldn't. It would rob you of the significant lesson that life has placed here for you. The only thing I know to do is to crack adolescent jokes, and hope that my laughter comforts the tears that have settled in the well of your eyes... I know, Boo.. real women don't cry. At least not when others can hear their screams as they fall. But I heard them. They continue to haunt me as I move through the mundane reality of my day. I know. Real women don't cry and they don't ask for help. Or at least the ones who paint themselves untouchable with jumbo black crayons, cutting and slicing boldly through this life on to the next... Translucent are those lines to those who, once like you, used colors to separate herself from others, her current state, her plight, her fears... Using red as rage to keep them at bay. It's better to fear than to be sorry. Purple's majesty to paint a larger than life figure, who questioned her ability and her self, often unable to look her reflection in the eye. Shades of blue, cool for the blues that clouded my happiness. White on white paper to draw the people whom I trusted and could count on. I could ever see them. I didn't want to. I wanted to believe I was alone. No (wo)man is an island. And neither are you. I couldn't say I'd be the woman I am today had it not been for and through your friendship. Really. You stimulate my mind. My heart. My thoughts. My reasons for being and doing. And I know on this day you feel a little lonelier. A little heavier. A little less than yourself. But my job is to remind you of how magnificent you are. And, Boo... You are a Queen. One day, someone worthy will recognize that you are to be comforted, spoiled, adhered to, made an honest woman of.... And I pray that I will be there to see the light of your face, the rise of your cheeks, the squint in your eye when you are cheezy happy.... shrinking violet. I love you. As I love myself. As I love my sister. On this day, when your head feels heavy, look toward the sky... Therein lies your strength, your shine.. And you will recognize that it's not you.. Baby, it's just been that Good Orderly Direction has not brought Mr. Perfect to you......
salama...
big hugs....
thir13teen/e. zora knight

6 comments:

Ebony Stewart said...

Ya Boo should feel special! That was nice Kimmie...I'm glad I have friends like you two.

joey said...

sooooo lovely....

Unknown said...

This is beautiful Kim...i wanted to cry when I read it. Anyone who you call a friend should consider themselves blessed ma.... love ya!

Copasetic Soul said...

i have to agree that it was beautiful...

thank you for being part of my circle...love you

Angel said...

thank you so much for this. and yes, i do understand that growth is uncomfortable. fortunately, i learn fast! ;-)

Raging Bull said...

You are a good friend to me and to others. I am alot like you. Keep writing and inspiring.