E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2006-05-06

Me - Pictures/Quotes For Angel


Professionally
"..for black poets belong to black people. Are flutes for black lovers. Are organs of black sorrow. Are the trumpets of black warriors. Let all black poets die as trumpets, and be buried in the dust of marching feet."
for black poets who think of suicide - etheridge knight (poet)

Personally
"If I didn't define myself for myself, I'd be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive." audre lourde (poet)











Overall
"All men and women are born, live suffer and die; what distinguishes us one from another is our dreams, whether they be dreams about worldly or unworldly things, and what we do to make them come about... We do not choose to be born. We do not choose our parents. We do not choose our historical epoch, the country of our birth, or the immediate circumstances of our upbringing. We do not, most of us, choose to die; nor do we choose the time and conditions of our death. But within this realm of choicelessness, we do choose how we live."
Joseph Epstein (essayist/author)

5 comments:

Angel said...

*tears in eyes, lump in throat* thank you kim...

Mahogany L. Browne said...

all sound... especially y, brute? i hear your heartbreaking sis... it's still beautiful.

Shelle said...

'what distinguishes us from one another is our dreams...and how we do to make them come about...within the realm of choicelessness, we do choose how we live.'
yes yes YES!! we can choose to drown in our sorrows or build a damn life raft from them.
good words kim kim, good words.

SLUMP FACADE said...

I was thinking about suicide yesterday, wondered where the path leads and if it is a better one than life currently offers; nice retort.

CousinSarah said...

I love Audre Lord. She seems to be a woman who fights daily to define who she is and will be. Angel gave me a great quote from her the other night when I needed it. I needed some of these quotes this week.