E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2006-04-06

Tis the SEASON....

Last year I called in sick... it was cloudy and cool, rumored to rain... so, not wanting to use vacation.. I used a sick day... I came back CRISPY. I mean sunburned, with a huge heat rash on my left arm, skin peeling from my forehead... My boss, "That case of relays must've been pretty bad." I was busted, my secret out! I call it the black social season....Texas Relay Weekend... It is the only time, that MOSTLY people of color from all over meet in Austin, Texas. It is a wonderful weekend. People whom you forged relationships in the blistering heat, biting winds, and stinging rain will meet in the same place year after year... Ours at the finish line... Take the stairs by the snow cone stand... Turn, 6 to 10 rows up, on the right.... Whatever the weather, one thing is certain.... We will be there... there will be some damn good parties, and even better foot races.. Or in some cases lightening fast races..... The picture is that of a track dynasty. (Long Beach Wilson High School, google them, it's friggin scary, oh my gosh the records) . Now I love my beloved great state of Texas, even more, Texas track and field... But not since Converse Judson, (in my heyday) has there been a group of women that dominate all around... I know Lancaster has been doing the damn thing, but.... These ladies (Wilson) will dominate...... And I mean dominate... I will wear their t-shirt on Saturday, the day of finals... cuz I want to run with the big dogs... The winners. I will listen to my best male friend B and his brothers (by blood and bond) rattle off stats, telling everyone who to watch. We will stand on our feet as they round the track, ohhing and awing, we will heckle UT fans, go in the garage and play dominoes at the break, heckle even more UT fans and anyone who goes against our predictions, drink entirely too much lemonade, eat even more over priced junk food, and gnaw on those strawberry chills, which make you even thirstier... It will all be good, cuz we're enjoying every minute of it, secretly reliving our glory days when we were state ranked track stars, currently living vicariously thru the those that rush past our onlooking strides. Promising next year to return looking as if we can run a decent mile......

1 comment:

CousinSarah said...

I tend to freak the heck out in overly large crowds. Part of my own anxiety issues I think. And just the thought of maybe having to drive home from Austin in the Relay traffic freaked me out. When it comes to bad weather and bad traffic, I turn into a 82 year old woman who drives 50 mph and watches the weather channel incase the tornado might be getting closer. :)

Glad you all had fun...in the hot texas sun. :)