E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2006-03-14

Hotel Derek

So I'm in Houston. Staying at the Hotel Derek, supposedly Puff Daddy's Houston home, he takes out an entire floor whenever he's in town. The valet reports he's stayed for the Super Bowl, NBA All-Star weekend, and has reservations for the Essence Festival. I'm not mad impressed. The Hotel is a'ight. Especially if you like modern things.... Hard wood floor in the bathroom, a nice European bed which sits about three inches from the floor, if that high, glass shelving, and swank little pillows thrown strategically across the room. Nice vegetable soap for your body and milk soap for your face. Milk soap reminds me of my black soap, it's alright... Again, Hotel Derek, is a'ight. I love Puffy's clothes, not particularity his taste in hotels, though.. It is too metropolitan for me, the lobby was too damn dark, and way too many people greeting you and welcoming you back for a small tip... I don't think I could be famous, all the greeting and tipping mess got old quick.. Don't get me wrong I five and four star it everytime, but this was a bit different... Give me something with a home feel, I like Intercontinental (Holiday Inn Brand) and my favorite, the Renaissance Hotel (Marriott Brand), well, I'm used to it.... Houston, seemingly has become my second home for the month. Having been here three times in four weeks.. Thank goodness I am in Dallas next week. But back in Houston the following week. Work schedule is dragging me down... I got several poems in me, just no time to write them....

2 comments:

Shelle said...

girl enjoy the room, sounds all fancy swancy.
i picture u like that woman in the hotel commercial, can't remember exact one now, laid out across the bed with cell phone by her side...just worn out!!
can't wait to see or hear what u r working on...always love your beautiful words

Angel said...

I'm definitely feeling fancy swancy right now too! I'm here in Indy staying at the Omni tonight and moving over to the Courtyard Marriott for the other four days. It took my mother to remind me that the Omni is where Oprah keeps her guests! I know! I remember it now too.

**Heard at the end of every Oprah Winfrey show**:

"Guests of the Oprah Winfrey show stay at the all-suite Omni Hotel in Chicago..."