E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2005-12-13

Tookie, Richard and The Boondocks.

I can be a hypochondriac. I was reared in a household of nurses and a midwife. I read medical journals as well as that home remedies book which every black family had in their home. At nine I swore I had leprosy after hearing about it in (I think) church and later reading about it in the encyclopedia. In addition to that I have had tape worms, shingles, chronic fatigue syndrome, food poisoning, lead poisoning, numerous stomach virususes, at least four heart attacks, and maybe a stroke in the last four years. Not physically, but in my mind. My sister, whom I call frequently, after DIAGNOSING myself, is often understanding, but can become a little enraged when I call in the middle of the night with a severe case of intergestion coupled with a self diagnosised panic attack, all of which I believe to be a massive to mild heart attack.
Last night, while experiencing what I believe to be heart attack symptoms. During the course of the day I had taken 6 rolaids, two Gas X tablets, drank one coke, one sprite, and one verners (ginger ale/cream soda thing) to relieve the symptoms. I was now considering aspirin, 'cuz they are good for prevention of heart attacks. Afraid to lay down, I sat up with a heating pad on my back attempting to ease the discomfort, while watching the Tookie Williams story unfold. I knew at 3:00 when my Yahoo notice stated the Terminator had denied his appeal that this would be his last day on this plane. My Godson wandered into the room and began to discuss the issue with me. At 14 he stays on top of the news and sports. I promise he could be the next great News Anchor or Sports Brodcaster. Excellent play by play man and only hits the important parts of a news story. Can you see me gushing over here! ANyway, he believed that he should be put to death. Not that he believes in the death penalty, but because it is about the crimes that he has been found guilty of. He feels that by ignoring the crimes, there should be no consideration of clemacy. Aside from the fact that if anyone killed anyone he loved he would have a hard time controlling himself. We talked about the death penalty and even discussed how often most don't admit guilt, even at the very end. Tookie was one of those people. I don't know if he was guilty, but a jury of someBODY's peers found him to be such. Rest in Peace Stanley Tookie WIlliams.
E! showed the last interview with Richard Pryor. I recalled the time my friend Lisa's mother took us to see Live on the Sunset Strip. We went to an adult movie, afterward she took us to Taco Bell for the little cinnamon buenellos things. I gues she wanted to bribe us, 'cuz she asked us not to tell. My younger sister told my Grandmother almost as soon as we walked into the house and she was fighting mad. Needless to say we never got to go anywhere with Lisa's mom again. I recalled listening to his albums on the stereo when my grandmother was away at work or on date. How I could recite almost every word he said. I wanted to be a comic, and I succeeded in being the class clown, master of the dozens and still can be pretty funny when I want. Now, had long decided that the comedic route was not one for me, but I do thank you for the laughs and the memories. Rest in Peace Richard.
Lastly, the Boondocks has got to be one of the best shows of the year. Huey. "Grandpa, these niggas love Gangstalicious like fat women love Oprah." Riley's episode was on point with the homothug gangsta rap thang. I laughed my as off in between tears (which as Riley says "was not very gangsta), 'cuz whatever the hell was wrong with me had not reponded to anything I had taken or done. And boy did I wish I had that home remedies book at that time. The part that had me cracking up was when he said, "these niggas are kissing" in between tears cuz he thought they
were going to kill Gangstalicious. I cannot wait for them to hit DVD....

1 comment:

CousinSarah said...

For the life of me, I cannot get my ass in front of a TV to see Bookdocks. I am always somewhere else...I need to see it cause I read it daily.

My man and I talked about Tookie last night. That one is a tough call....responsible for so much destruction and sometimes people need to learn that even if you can get your shit together, there are still sometimes consequences to your actions. Lots of kids today are missing that as I see the level of entitlement explode here on campus. I dunno...i dont trust the judicial system so I am always skeptical...call me a conspriacy theorist if you will...to much to prove it is a common occurance.

The loss of Richard Pryor was sad. It is always sad to see someone who we know was a pioneer for people pass. He opened so much for comedians, black folks, race relations/discussions...he will be greatly missed.