E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2005-09-22

Like father, like daughter? Like grandfather, like granddaughter?

UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE

It's happening again.
Imagine a night time drama.
Unfolding.
You at the edge of your seat.
Fully aware of what's happening next.
And there's nothing you can do.
Another bitch of a storm is bearing down on my family.
And yet another family member is, well, read on.

"Dad, where are you?"
"I'm on I10."
"Good. Late start? What time do you.."
He cuts me off. "Yea, I'm going over here to get some sand bags."
"Sandbags?" I think to myself. "Hey, Dad, I thought there was a mandatory evacuation. You are at the eye of this thing. What time to you think you're leaving?"
"I told you last night. We aren't leaving."

UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE..... an hour later..

"Hey there KD."
"Hey Dad. Where are you?"
"1924 Decker," he chuckles, "you know we just got home. It took us almost two hours to get to get back."
"So when are you leaving?"
"Well. I don't know. Got stuff to do around here."
"Dad. It's projected that you are now 20 hours from Austin. People are running out of gas on the highway."
"Yea, I know we passed by a couple of 'em."
Pregnant pause as I did not want to be disrespectful, no matter how childish and asinine his current behavior and language appeared in that moment.
"Uh, Dad? I think it's best to get on the road."
"Well, I know. We got stuff to do around here. Call your Brother, he's on the road. I think he's coming there."
"When ARE YOU COMING?"
"Call your brother. I'll call you back."

UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE

Now at H-23. Eyewall now at 20 miles.
Landfall now predicted between Chambers and Jefferson counties. Hardest hit counties expected to be Chambers, Jefferson and Orange. Hurricane force winds (130 mph), tornados, surge of 15-20 feet, rainfall of 8-12 inches with accumulated totals (Friday to Sunday) of up to 25 inches. TX is airlifting 10,000 people from this area (Beaumont) to sites around the State. C-5's and C-17 are flying into Bush Intercontinental in Houston to assist.


"Dad. I just got an email at work and they are going to airlift people out of Beaumont. I can give you the information so that you and Chris can be ahead of the crowd. I should no something soon."
"I ain't gonna be airllifted nowhere." Poor English, I must be getting thru, he only does it when he's frustrated. "We're gonna drive. Look, get some directions offa Yahoo from Lake Charles. You call your Brother?"
"No. Dad, they're not going to let you go East. They are forcing everyone to the West and toward the North. So, you're coming to Austin?"
"What'd I ask you to do?"
"Get directions and call my Brother."
"I'll call you back later."

UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE.

We spoke once more. Not necessary as it was the same. He is headed on some country road toward the northern part of the State. But not to Plano to my younger sister's. Nor to Austin with me. He and Chris (my stepmother) are just going to drive toward some East Texas block masquerading as a town and wait out the storm. My dad, an intelligent, degreed, middle class, retired Federal Government Employee is driving me to an early grave. He has three children and family members who reside well out of harms way, and he will possibly be sleeping in some Red Cross Shelter and make shift Evacuee Center because he is fool hearted, stubborn, and God knows what else.

Maybe someone should shoot me while I'm young. He and my Grandfather seem to have lost their minds as they became older. Funny thing. My Grandfather is from my MOTHER'S side of the family...... I get it from both sides. Perhaps there is hope. Maybe it's not inheritance, and just the men that the women in my family chose to love.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I pray they are alright! You know, "grown-folks" gotta do it their way. You know, he probably realized after a while that he should've gone to one of the kids' homes but that male-ego thing probably blocked good sense and reason.

They are sooooo stubborn!!!

CousinSarah said...

13-Cannot imagine how worried you are right about now...I know old school folks can be stubborn. I will keep you and them in my prayers. Love you.

The Humanity Critic said...

I definitely kow some stubborn folks like that.