E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2005-09-26

(K)nights, Orphans and Heroes...

Dad came.
Dad talked.
Dad watched CNN.
Dad watched dvds.
Dad talked.
Dad laughed.
Dad talked.
Dad watched TXTN.
Dad saw my girl E. Again.
Dad talked.
Dad met my boy B.
Did I mentioned Dad talked?
Dad smiled.
Dad proud.
Dad watched CNN.
Dad ignored CNN.
Dad hugged.
Dad left.

My Dad and stepmom made it to Austin on Friday mid day. I was relieved. It was cool being treated like I was his little girl, AGAIN. He constantly called me on my cell when I was not within eyeshot or ear distance. We talked each other to death. The only thing we didn't do was play dominos and tease the other about the "last time we played."

Everytime I see him I am reminded why my mom fell for him in the first place. He looked good, despite the worry which declared war on his mind and handsome grin the moment the first weather alert aired. He paced and talked to fill empty space and ease anxieties. (An honest inheritance, one of his many gifts to me.) We laughed at our choice of comforters, he recently purchased one exactly like the one in my bedroom and the comforter which sat unopened in my doorway was the one my step mother recently purchased. He argued my recent choice to return to being a vegetarian, purchased Popeyes chicken for Friday's dinner and insisted that I go with them to a local Steakhouse on Sunday. He was impressed with my lawn, particularly after learning we were on water restrictions, and grinned sheepishly when my stepmother pointed out mine was thicker than his. He drank Big Red Floats with me. Watched Anderson Cooper and other news stations. I watched a little football with him, made fun of the Cowboys, while he continued to show disbelief at my ongoing love affair with the N.E. Patriots and Boston Red Sox. We HATED THE ASTROS together (since we both believe they traded all the brothers)... We had coffee together, as he pointed out how much I reminded him of my mother, and remarked at how much I behaved like him. He said I was a perfect balance of the two and he was proud....

What he doesn't know is that because of him I never really believed only men could be (k)nights in shining armor. While I was growing up, like most in our modest middle class neighborhood, the women held it down. He wasn't always there to read me bedtime stories, tuck me away, or watch me go on my first date. But I do believe in orphans and heros, my Dad was like a super hero with a corny theme song, some similarly goofy outfit and super powers. My Dad was there every single time I needed or allowed him to be a Father. His behavior assured my grandmother she would never have to be mother and father to me. My Grand and Great grand will always be my (k)nights, as they fought the dragons and kept the castle safe.... He will always be my hero and I love him for that.....

And while I am afraid of what he and my stepmother may find upon their return to Orange.... I am forever grateful that he found his way to me, his middle daughter's home and sought refuge from nature's wrathful beauty. And that for once, maybe, I could do for him what he's always tried to do for me.....

be there when he needed me most.....

2 comments:

CousinSarah said...

I never think we totally understand that until we are older we can never really appreciate what our parents have done and continue to do for us. There are so many times especially as a mom that I just arbitrarily call my folks and say thanks for something that they sacrificed, taught, attempted to pound into my thick skull that I didnt get until that moment. I remember telling my dad that I would buy him a boat when I grew up so he could sail in his old age. Some decisions I made financially as a young college person make that seem near impossible...but I keep striving that someday, I will be able to give him a boat. Until then, I just keep giving him thanks, allowing myself to admit and apologize for all the times my youthful will or decisions made him hurt or sad, and more and more...just keep loving him more everyday. I am sorry that it was under such circumstances 13, but I am very happy you got to have these moments with him. They are some of the best moments in life.

CousinSarah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.