E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2005-09-30

aromas and scents.....

a conversation between my sister, nephew and niece upon arrival to my house, soon after opening the door, each visit.
nephew: "mom, auntie kimmie's house still smells new."
niece: "it smells good to me."
sister: "you know your aunt is crazy, she can't stand the smell of food, so she opens the windows no matter how __________ it is outside."
nephew: "does that mean we're eating out?"
sister, depending on the season: "yes, it's too damn hot/cold/wet/_____ to eat here."
nephew and niece in unison, "good, we want to go to cheddar's."
sister: "okay, your auntie kimmie is paying....."
i came home to the smell of baked turkey with gravy, rice, and salad. yes, each has a distinct smell when you are as neurotic as i am.
stepmom: "roy, this girl doesn't even have a dining room table." turning to me, "where do you eat?"
me: "uh, over the sink, on a tv tray, out?"
dad: "what'd you say k.d., out?" he laughs, "she's never here, she's on the go, leave her alone. ya doing good here kid...." he give me a hug.
earlier during the week i came home to fried potatoes and sausage. this weekend there will be some pig part, either fried or baked, sitting at a makeshift dining room table in my house, along with some "soul food feast disguised as a heart attack waiting to happen." i can hear my dad talking about his blood pressure and how he has a head-ache. something he does each time he eats pork. currently my refrigerator is filled with pig, pig fillers, beef, beef fillers, and other meat-like products... ignoring my current goal to become vegetarian.. my dad, "what ya gone do that for?" a far cry from the soy milk, peanut butter, trail mix, salad bags, fruit mixes, yogurt, tortillas, onions, various cheeses and candy which once occupied the fortress alone. they've been pushed far back into the forest of comfort food my step mom and dad assured me i (we) (THEY) needed. my pots and pans are freaking out, stating they need therapy because they are overworked. and my micro-wave is threatening to leave me cuz i've not been paying much attention lately. i say this, yet i am not complaining. it's funny and it all feels good. and i'm a little sad....
my dad and step mom will be leaving on monday morning... they will, as my dad states "be staying closer to home, as there are, things to be done." understandable. yet selfishly enough, all i could think was my 1600 plus square feet will return to it's once tomb like state. there will be no aroma's of home cooked meals and lightly scented cleaning products. it will return to be it's cold, sterile, neutral, model home like state and smell.
my step mom, gave me something i'd been missing a long time. a mother. she cooked, cleaned, nurtured, listened, observed, and managed to keep my dad out of my business.
"you say you're spending the night with who? where?" he asked before i left for work this morning. "why are you taking that bag, we will see you this afternoon before you go?" leave her alone, roy" she rescued,after his fifth round of questions.
"well, go and have a good time." he said thru laughs, "i will call you."
and he did.... time and time again.
monday... i'm not sure if i'm going to air out the house. i'm thinking about allowing them to stay as long as they are physically able. maybe i'll go home, breathe in as deeply as i can, taking in all that there is left of our time spent together.
on another note.... they did make me want to have something around to take care of... so thanks to Queue, i am now a proud virtual pet owner.... check out Oshun, my penguin.... for those of you laughing.. it's a start, okay?

2 comments:

Raquita said...

I played with him the other day and thought how he seemed suited for this blog. Wammer than he looks to the outside eye, protective and cute. Be glad you had them while they were there- and do air out the house, it will fade away too soon anyway.

Raquita said...

DONT air out the house - I can't tupe..