E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2005-08-05

walking thru rain

To paraphrase an incredible poet and friend from the beautifully haunting piece entitled: Sunflowers
"Some believe that the rain falls upon us,
but I like to believe that we walk thru it,
and sometimes it's necessary
like gun barrels with grins at the end...."

I could think of a million cliches, metaphors, songs and quotes regarding the rain. Today,however, after it has seemingly shattered all hopes of a beautifully hot Texas afternoon filled with Barcardi Limon spiked Chick-fil-A lemonade, good music, dreams of a distant lover's rendez vous, and a topless ride in HIP HOP along 685, or any country road going 85 miles per hour. It' cost less then an hour on a psychiatrist sofa, and it works a hell of a lot better when prescribed in moderation. It's what I need. Reckless activity has always been a smooth elixir to heal whatever ails me. Often, I don't know what it is, aside from restlessness and possible boredom. I was asked how, as an adult can I become bored. I think it's adulthood that makes life boring. I escaped the mundane truth of adulthood and got lost in love, romantic notions and fairytale lives with happily ever afters. Until, of course, the reality of life set in and I realized that I had to be an adult to appreciate adult love and of course the benefits of being an adult, i.e home ownership, ability to drive, purchase items, etc. In other words I needed to pay attention to work, home and other necessities in order to ensure that I would have that fairy tale life and happy ending.
So as I walked during my lunch hour, the rain continued to fall, I wondered if in fact it is cleansing my soul. I wondered if I was walking thru it, or was I allowing it to fall upon me and weigh me down. Weigh my soul down. Weigh heavy, like my life's problems upon my heart. This mornings storms were filled with beautiful lightening and booming thunder. It was beautiful, yet terrifying at the same time. I was awakened by God's touch thru a simple phone call with a melodic voice on the end. And as I write, as when I awoke, I knew why rain was necessary... It cleanses, it nurtures, it contributes to growth..... In my growth I gave myself permission to take chances.... See, I fell in love with the voice on the other end of the line on a rainy day, and I look forward to our many rainy days to come. And that perhaps, the reason I am so bogged down with the gray in the day is because I want to be a little girl, run out in the rain and play, tap dance in a puddle, taste the rain drops, savor the moment of youthful dreams and romantic notions. Or maybe,just maybe I wanted to play hookey from work, and spend the morning in the branches of an ELM tree, showering in the possibilities....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Imagine that!

my coffee is always said...

please imagine these ideas with me....

The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven.
John Milton

The only way to find the limits of the possible is by going beyond them to the impossible.
Arthur C. Clark

CousinSarah said...

The John Milton quote is a good one 13. Never heard it before, but so much truth in it.

still grooven said...

very nice quotes and beautiful revelations. and i love your therapy though it requires a level of courage that i admire but can't imagine finding within myself.... or could i? i love how you fell in love with the voice on the phone. when asked if i've ever fallen in love, i give the answer, "all the time." cuz ain't that the truth? (on another note... see you at neo tomorrow... and i missed y'all last week but my children arrangement fell through.)