E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2005-08-08

An Open Letter to Love: "And even if you don't recognize my presence, I'm still here." Jill Scott

This is not for him, her or them. I'm talking directly to you. Unconditional, platonic, heterosexual, gay, lesbian, paternal, maternal, fraternal, nocturnal, fleeting, ______________ (fill in the blank) kind of love. That elusive, most dream, few find, and even less experience. I am talking to you, true love, in the rarest form. Can you hear me? No, better question, are you there?
We are born with the capability to love unconditionally, but thru age and experience our minds close due to unmet expectations, fairy tale delusions of prince charming and princesses in need of rescuing. Our hearts become immune to the essence of love, having been infected with disappointment and pain. We use sex, like an oft prescribed, seldom followed correctly antibiotic for viral infections, so it no longer works, no longer protects us.
When I was younger, I dreamed of being rescued. I wanted to be Rapunzel and let down my golden hair. Cinderella who danced at the ball after that magical shoe fit ever so perfectly. Funny thing, my soft tight curls would never grow past my shoulders and I wear stilleto like an ill trained Drag Queen. Also what are you to do when the prince and the princess want to dance with you at the ball, or climb your golden locks to rescue you from the tower? I never read that one in Grimm's Fairy Tales....
Love, I don't believe in substituting sex for you, nor do I believe in that "rescue me, I'm helpless" idea. What am I to do? I want to experience you with no holds barred, go ass out. In other words I want to shed my pride and be foolishly in love. I want to walk in the rain and not know I'm getting wet. I want to skip, stop and smell the roses, maybe even pick a few...... Hell, I want to yip, chase my tail, romp in the grass, experience puppy love at it's finest. I want to fall head over heels down Mt. Bonnell or maybe climb the 99 steps to the top, breathless, sweaty, clutching the hand of the one I love.. Love, can you here me? Do you know what I'm trying to say?
Don't get me wrong. I am experiencing love as we speak. I am standing on the cliff of a breath taking mountain with cascading water falls, tumultuous waves and sharp rocks..... I am willing, waiting to take the plunge... Despite my fear, I am exhilarated by your presence overcome with your essence. I know in my heart I don't have to take the dive, I can acknowledge your existence.... but I long for the coolness, refreshing feel of what lies at the bottom of the cliff. It's exciting, enticing. Somewhere in the thick green foliage that has grown along side the blue rush that lies just past my toes, you are hiding, waiting patiently... I just want you to show yourself, 'cuz I don't always recognize your presence and I'm wondering.
are you still here....
FADE2BLACK
"Yes. Always"
FADE2BLACK

No comments: