E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2005-05-03

Whatever, Whatever, Whatever, Whatever, Live at Benaroya Hall..... Seattle, Washington

I am listening to Jill Scott live at Benaroya Hall. She is on my mind. I saw her earlier this year in Dallas. She was, as usual fanfckingtastic! I was extreme in being ghetto or spreading love, as I called B-Fran, 'Shelle and Jo in the middle of the concert so they could get a listen. You decide, I'm sure it was GHETTO. I want to purchase her (Jill's) book of poetry. I am afraid to go to Barnes and Noble as I am on a budget and I want sooooooo much. I liken that store to "crack", Krispy Kreme, Starbuck's and friggin Target. You think you can handle it, but if you like it, I MEAN REALLY LIKE IT, IT HANDLES YOU LIKE A JOHN IN A BACK ALLEY....I also want to purchase Speak, So You Can Speak Again: The Life of Zora Neale Hurston. I want to finish the Famished Road by Ben Okri. I used to sit in Barnes and Noble and read that book, because there was so much I didn't understand. Wish I could find someone to read it with.
Anyway, I am listening to Whatever. Whaterever. Whatever. by Jill Scott. It is an excellent live version. I have not found this cd, anyplace other than, believe it or not, the Media Bar inside my local Starbuck's. The listening bar is in select cities... Austin, TX and Seattle, Washington. The day is cool and mild. The sun, occasionally chuckles as she plays a game of hide and seek with the cumulus clouds. They've played most of the day, the clouds often getting the best of her as she tires so easily on days like this.... Funny, the life span of a cumulus cloud is about 35 minutes, but no more then an hour? HIP HOP and I are going topless as long as we can, (not me, but the car), it's suppose to rain tonight and all day tomorrow. And I want to get as much in as I can.
I responded to Mo's questions in response to my response (if that makes sense), not too hard.
1. Biggest fear? dying alone. letting go.
2. fav. author/poet? Z.... zora neale hurston.
3. best revenge? doing well.
4. most important thing about being a woman? sisterhood and being comfortable in your own skin to accept other women.
5. what can a man (or anyone for that matter) do to impress me? cry for no other reason then to cleanse your soul.
also did the survey on the cities which best suited me, here goes in order scored:
1. philly
2. chi-town
3. new york, but they didn't say neiw haarlem, Harlem, Manhattan, New York, USA..
4. honolulu (they don't know me well at all, there's no where to drive!!!!...must be a paid ad)
5. san fran....
Four out of five ain't bad....
Lastly, I would like for you to rub your hands together and put them close to your monitor (borrowed from Heat Talaam Acey and Archie da Messenger) and pray for my peeps as they enter the second stage of finals at the Austin Poetry Slam: Da'Shade Moonbeam, Suzy, and Funky Mike Whalen!!!!!!! They hit the stage on Wednesday night.....
Hey, while you there keep rubbin 'em til next Monday for my Girl Mo.....
13andtheythatshytain'tlucky....

4 comments:

Mahogany L. Browne said...

harlem, huh? goes those poems were of another life! got the call from deb - cya in JULY! can you say a repeat poetry gathering! :)

Anonymous said...

girl, ur 2 much..i love this dayum blog... u def make my days brighter! shelle has jill's book, check it out next time ur at the house, it is beautiful.

can't wait to hear what u have 2 say about last night....
much love babygirl,
joey

Shelle said...

So when is the autobio coming out 13, your words your words. Yes i do have Jill's book eagerly awaiting for your eyes, but it means you got to come over and play first to get it
much love
shelle

Anonymous said...

13, you were hot on Weds even if the crowd was kinda coooool. And you said something about people reading that book with you, maybe we should do that, Oprah's book club meets Neo soul. :)

You couldnt be more right about Zora, her imagery like yours, life in motion.