E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2005-05-02

"Cuz Mo Did It, I Did IT" aka Imitation is the Greatest Form of Flattery

What I'm reading right now:
Science-Based Prevention Programs and Principles by SAMHS, A Thin Skin by Mo Browne, The Autobiography of My Mother by Jamaica Kincaid (actually I am in the process of re-reading it).
What I'm listening to:
A playlist consisting of The Emancipation of Mimi (Mariah Carey), Pieces of Change Disc 1 (Talaam Acey), Salt (Liz Wright), Get Lifted (John Legend) and 1Eleven1 Volume I (a special gift to ELM).
What I'm wearing:
Black pants, Vintage t-shirt (appropriate for business casual wear), Dr. Marten sandals, and Sean John Blue jean jacket (I know it's for dudes, but Puffy got some fly azz gear).
What I'm Working On:
Identification of performance indicators for quality management reviews and statewide initiative strategic plan (work). Poetically, a group piece with 'Shelle, a shyt talking piece (I don't have one yet) and completing a piece entitled Tears... to be continued.
What I look forward to:
Completing a couple of more pieces and consulting with Mo, Marc, B-Fran and Hustle regarding a CD and/or book. A raise. A new job. Mental freedom found in getting thru my current difficult moments.
What annoys me:
Clutter, slow and/or delayed responses, misuse of God-given talents, people who talk too much with little to say, and dreamers who masquerade as doers.
What motto do I live by:
Your silence will not protect you. Audre Lourde
I have come to believe over and over again, that what is most important to me must be spoken, made verbal and shared, even at the risk of having it bruised or misunderstood. Audre Lourde
We can't all, and some of us don't. That's all there is to it. Eeyore
What I want to Change About Myself:
Learning to accept life on life's terms, all the while knowing that it doesn't need my help or interference. To learn that my job is to get up daily and be the best I can be during my waking hours. To learn to give of myself freely and unselfishly without thought of consequence and personal gain.
What I love about myself:
Loyal. Charming. Conversationalist.
What I dreamt last night:
Don't remember.
What I'm feenin for:
Pancakes and bacon from Frank's, a greasy spoon, a la Mel's Diner, in Houston TX.
What I regret:
Personally, August 2004, not spending that extra hour or so with my grandmother the last time we were together. I was trying to hurry up and get to a slam in San Antonio. She died two and a half weeks later. AIPF slam 2005 (not doing a piece I really wanted to do), San Antonio Slam Finals 2005 (quitting after the first round 'cuz I felt the shyt was shady), and performing Harlem's Loss with singers other then Jai Byrd (it don't sound or feel the same). All of which happened in 4 days... My worst week of poetry to date.
What I learned:
Listen to your inner voice and follow your mind after consulting with your heart and soul. Only the three can assist you in making the best decision.
Where would I move if I left Austin, TX:
Harlem, Manhattan, New York, USA is there anyplace else? Okay maybe Mykonos, Greece.
If I could PRODUCE A TOUR:
It would be two consisting of all women and all men. Suheir Hamad, Mo Browne, Georgia ME, Jeanine Livingston (Fort Worth), and Andrea Gibson (Denver, Colorado). Various styles, different perspectives, DAMN GOOD WRITERS AND PERFORMERS. And the other Talaam Acey (my favorite), Genimeye(I met him, actually had a couple conversations and took a picture with him last year at Nats... This dude was the illest on Def Poetry last season, cool as a friggin fan, was part of the BEST GROUP PERFORMANCE I HAVE SEEN IN LYFE LAST YEAR AT NATS. THEY DIDN"T GET TO SHOW-CASE, cuz of some shyt that broke out in the venue (Fat Tuesday's) which totally took away from some bad ass poets, has beautiful eyes, okay, okay, okay) Jive Poetic, Shane Koyczan and Christopher "Fluke" Lee (Austin, TX.)I just want to go to every show ever leg of the tours...
My biggest mistake in this career:
Starting too late...
What inspires me:
good words, good poetry, good food, good liquor, and good friends that pose as good family. Most of all the village of women that reared this idiot(mary lou, margaret, mary elizabeth, clara and suzy).
My favorite outfit:
Abercrombie & Fitch jeans, weird t-shirt, Sean John blue jean Jacket and my converse.
Favorite word:
whatever (multiple meanings)
My biggest secret:
If I told you it wouldn't be a secret.
Biggest lie I ever told:
I'm sorry.

1 comment:

Mahogany L. Browne said...

thin skin? i heard that was the bomb! :)