E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2005-05-02

Thir13Teen + 1

Okay.... The weekend, starting this past Friday was pretty hectic. My poet-in-law Jo called to inform me that Korim da Youngstar (Jonathan) was requested to serve as entertainment at the NESBY Banquet. My "son", Caric was having a house party to celebrate his 14th birthday. Rita, one of my closest friend's son (also named Jonathan, affectionately known as Johnny Boy) was celebrating his first communion. All of this on SATURDAY... Can we spell scheduling conflict? I had to pass on both the first communion and the NESBY Banquet. I have no children. So, parenting is as foreign to me as sobriety to an active alcoholic. I can be humored, but cannot grasp the concept. And boy was I reminded of that!!!!! I had the task of obtaining groceries, i.e. snacks for the party. Well, I took Caric with me, after he promised that he had completed all chores, in preparation of his party. I later learned differently. Also, it was a beautiful day and so HIP HOP (my car)went topless, and we (HIP HOP, Caric and I) basked in the sun, as we drove. Hell, I had no idea that a party for a 14 year old needed so much preparation. I later learned differently, there is a LOT to do. But my usual ADD, fun loving self, took Caric to the store to purchase a birthday shirt. And I need to go to the mall. And we needed a crock pot... I digress, which is what I did with most of the three hours we had to go to the store and set up... Any way, we left his house at about 2:15. I knew we were in trouble at 4:00 when we had no groceries and his mother began to call. Like any kid, WE ignored the initial phone call, in hopes that she would forget the reason she called. She didn't. She called back. I answered the phone. I got heavy breathing and sighs, along with that's why he couldn't go anywhere. I'm feeling bad. I look over at Caric and guess what he does? He gives me this cute side grin, shifts in his seat, cocks his head to the side and gets comfortable as if he going to take a nap!!! No, I mean he literally closed his eyes, all the while mumbling he's used to it and questions the reason I'm not used to it yet. He's funny.. I also learned I would not be a good parent cuz I felt "embarrassed" going to check on them as they partied in the garage. I mean they were wired from sugar... The menu consists of doritos,tostitos, nacho cheese, snickers, hershey kisses, miniature chocolate bars and gallons of sugary - red colored water disguised as "punch". I could not bring it to my consciousness, slow dragging while on speed? I just couldn't happen. But his mother, god mother, aunt and uncle believed it possible. So we were suppose to take turns going into the room. When it was my turn, I knocked, peaked in, and asked if they were okay with the punch. Totally different from the others who barged in as if they were the police. Again, I am not a parent. They all seemed as if they had a good time. They partied no different from the adults I know. Some sat along the wall. Others were talkative. The only three girls at the party choose to fight each other... And it was not over one of the boys at the party. Some stood in the driveway, against his mother's wishes. And there was a steady stream of traffic, all the while bobbing heads to the beats that muffled thru the walls from the garage to the living room where we sat on PATROL. At the end of the night. He was unusually talkative as he stated he was tired and was off to bed.... Hung over from the sugar, the high of turning 14 in a week, the idea that he would get another celebration on his actual birthdate and an upcoming trip to Florida for the entire summer..... Damn, to be 14 again....

No comments: