E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2005-05-13

Can U B 1 N D Same?

FadeFROMBlack
"I'll call you back," she said as her voice surfed telephone lines traveling a million miles back into the darkness for what seemed like centuries. The deafening tone, ending our conversation exchanged pleasantries with my shallowed eardrums. I would here what I wanted. The finality in the conversation was clear. We would not speak until morning. I am disgusted by my casual dishonesty, and unwillingness to face the inevitable. I look out of my cracked blinds toward the moon. It is shining. Another lie, the moon, like myself, is void of light, yet we utilize our guile and wit to maintain our luster. My thoughts had so much to say, but I would again be silenced by the sun. She is using the moon to mask her consideration and favor toward me. I hear her in the muted silence that danced along dust particles floating in the air. "No," I answer, "I am closing the blinds, but I will leave the curtains open."
FADE2BLACK
Text message. I don't take text messages, but I read it out of curiosity as it is late. KA made the Fort Worth Team, it reads. I return the call in an instant, as I am battling my mother's curse and father's legacy. I dial the number. Phone rings. Answer. "Did you get my message?" asks the voice on the other end. "Yea," I say in a moistly flat tone. In that moment, I am pleased and happy for him, yet, reminded of the San Antonio finals. I become angry and offended. My mind begins to prepare a tonic elixer of broken ego and false pride in a martini glass for my consumption. I am not thirsty for envy. My palate cries relief and I am happy for my friend, whom I've grown to love like a brother. He has worked hard. I celebrate. He beeps into the call, as the voice and I knew he would. But the voice is affably familiar and we fall back into old habit. Voice feels like worn shoes on hard wood floor. Sturdy. All knowing. We talk thru the night about nothing and everything. I am reminded of the back of my hand. I turn it over to follow the patterns of creases and wrinkles which twist, turn, curve, and form around knuckles, fingers and nail bed. That voice has traveled these patterns and creases with me. We had come together, grown old together, learned lessons together, gone thru trials together and I am reminded that we have gotten thru past indiscretion separate, yet together. We have so many more miles to travel together along our journey. I reach my hand into the darkness toward Love. Thank you, I whisper.
Fade2Black
HIP HOP and I are traveling 685. We are racing anyone willing to challenge us, though we are not formidable foes. We laugh at other's insolence. The sun is beaming. It is a beautiful day. The highway seems to form and fit to our little standard tires as we ride the high of being free and topless on this beautifully crisp morning. John Legend is telling us how he used to love us, but not like he used to. We could care less. Winds blow to part my light brown locks flowing in the breeze. I feel the sun's embrace as her rays gently kiss my favorite spot on the back of my neck.
Fade2Black
Phone rings. "Good morning, Lover." "Good morning." I say. Dial tone. We smile at each other thru cellular towers.
Fade2Black
Phone rings. "What's up?" I ask. Voice is angry. Voice is hurt. I become angry with voice. I hurt voice. I hang up. Dial tone.
Fade2Black
"What's up, Baby. Are you okay?" I allow brown eyes to fix what was once broken thoughts. As I stood in morning sun, I felt the warmth of the love. In that moment they were one in the same. Dial tone.
Fade2Black
Phone rings. "I'm sorry. I just learned a lesson. I can be extreme. I crack cheap joke." Dial tone.
Fade2Black
Phone rings. "Hey" voice says breathlessly, yet sexy. That smile embraces me thru phoneline. Sun shines thru my office window.
THEYR1NDSAME.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is technology really your friend? Damn phones!