E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2005-04-21

YOU ARE NOT HIP HOP

My heart weeps in bittersweet beats between pulses and reverberating redlines which flatline at tip of silent solo switch beats in mid tempo backbeats slow ebb and flow to duet which was once you and I, and I break beat, then back slide to full stride in cadence march, spin to twelve inch vinyl, thrity bars, four blue notes, two turntable scratch, riff to improve a scat then spit a piece which was once our love song.......
excerpt from: you are not hip hop

My current state is Utter, Confusion. I cannot figure this love thing out. I can typically morph and mold to the ideal partner..... primairly because I listen. And two, because I learned everything I needed to know about (unhealthy/healthy) relationships from my Dad. That is his legacy to me, my torture, or is it the other way around?
.... I thought I loved hip hop. But we, like my current partner and I, have a loving bond, but poor lines of communication. Kind of like Sprint PCS, I digress, I was talking to a friend a while back and I wanted GOD (good orderly direction/goodness overcomes dysfunction) to bring me a good lover (I got) and some good music (questionable). I get John Legend, new Jill Scott, new Kem, new Vivian Greene, but later comes Trick Daddy, Ceelo Green and Ludda..... Sugar (Gimme Some).... Yippie, Yippie Yum Yum, .... Ying Yang Twins.....Wait and Thrillville Some Cut aka the "Mattress Song".... All of which have great beats and I can dance to them.... 'cept I don't dance. I thought I heard it all, UNTIL my "son" CT (caric lee, a very handsome quick witted 13 year old) plays "Ugly Ass Friend" to the tune of Lovers and Friends, Usher. I have a sense of humor, ya know... I even have an ugly ass friend.... or GASP, I maybe someone's ugly ass friend.... but must we "show our ass" on the radio. I mean my favorite poets get little, if any airplay, and we got these fools talking 'bout an ugly friend" on the airway, nonetheless.... I guess, hip hop, like love, you gotta take the good with the bad, and sometimnes when it's bad, really bad, you gotta find something to laugh about......
gotta go, my ugly ass friend is calling me.....
13

1 comment:

Mahogany L. Browne said...

my sentiments exactly. however, if we want to change it -- we must make our voice heard.