E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2005-04-21

Something In The Past (always seems to be)

My Poet in Law Jo teases me about my new toy... My Blog.... She asks if I did any work today... She says she will read, but not create a BLOG... She has alot to say and even more to write, but alas, she is in love....... She and my Poet Brother are probably reading Griffin and Sabine, playing scrabble or something seemingly cute with one another. They are poets in love..... While contemplating ways to take over the world, another thought crossed my mind? Whatever happened to Al Hudson and the (Soul) Partners aka One Way? "Something in the Past" was a great song....... I know, most probably remember Jessie Powell's version, but ole Al outta Detroit, put it down in the original. My soul twin, KA and I often talk about music, old school original versus remake in one take..... We had a lengthy discussion about Strawberry Letter... I wonder what happened to Shuggie Otis? What happened to the music? And why the HELL IS VH1 trying to save it........ It's already dead.....

1 comment:

Mahogany L. Browne said...

soul music is still very much alive. it's hip hop that's in a coma. soul music lives through: john legend, meshell ndegecello, alicia keys, jill schott, musiq, ledisi, goapele... we can go on. the pop population are kidding themselves with that quick stir r&b. however, i still purchase the soulful tunes of etta jones, etta james, moody, redding, withers and im think'n - it can't just be me! tell KA hey...