E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2005-04-22

What's In the Crease of Your Smile?

I had a beautiful morning.....I did absolutlely what I wanted to do.... A beautiful awakening, was able to bask in the shadow of my ELM's smile, kept a promise to my "son" and gave him a ride to school... (sidebar: he said 10 words the entire ride, all the while listening to his personl cd player), but the moment that made me the happiest, was the smile he gave me in response to a camera case secret he and I would share.... it was a simple childlike smile, as he said "sure" and closed the car door. He has an old soul.... Came back and slept while mindless television played in the background.... The phone, as always, broke into my dream, like a late-breaking news story... (absoltely useless and had nothing to do with me... in otherwords a telemarketer).. But still, I am doing what I want to do... I get up and have Pepperidge Farm Cookies and Blue Bell Tropical Passion Ice Cream for breakfast..... then HORRORS OF HORRORS, my ABSOLUTE Favorite Drink in the world comes crashing down out of the freezer... Cruzan Mango Flavored Rum and it's glass bottle has splattered and shattered all over the kitchen floor, walls, refrigerator door, and my legs.... I see the kitchen getting drunk without me and again I am horrified....... still, I smile. why you ask? because I am still doing what I want to do... I HAVE A PAID DAY OFF, I opted for today (3 day weekend) instead of yesterday (the actual holiday).. which was almost like being off since no one was really there...... Thank you Great State of Texas and the Battle of San Jacinto... As I am standing there watching the floor become "shyt-faced" I proiritize and decide to treat it like any other drunk.... I step over it and go to the table and eat my ice cream and cookies.... Hey, Blue Bell is 5.99 a 1/2 gallon and Pepperridge Farm Cookies are 2.50.... As I eat it, I think of Mike Guinn, an incredible poet and man, (Slam Master in Fort Worth)...to paraphrase one of his poems... "I want to wake up and smell in the crease of your smile what you had the night before.... me."
Now, I know what he means when he says it.. but this cat has depth and duplicity in his words and range... You learn this when you hear his piece "Moist". And then it all makes sense...
Caric Lee's smile, my smile, my ELM's smile, the clerk's smile this morning at the Exxon, everyone's smile pose as a luggage to carry our love for self and others, and when we frown, basically we are letting love down, letting it fall... think about traveling and your clothes and personal content fall out of your bags... It really sucks...
So today, no matter what I will smile... I even smiled as I poisoned myself with chemicals as I cleaned the Mango flavored Cruzan from the floor......
that unopened bottle had a few memories.... it purchased for a party last week to close out AIPF... The party was great, met a lot of people, shared poetry and love......we drank the Banana flavored with orange juice and grenadine, Mo Browne's chilled cherries served as garnish....and opted to save this one.... the one for me to spill, instead...
I now know the lesson of never crying over spilled Cruzan...
Holla..
13 andtheysayitain'tlucky

2 comments:

Mahogany L. Browne said...

hey i tried those cherries. didn't realize the lack of marinate would lead me to make the GAS FACE! lol hence, the reason they are garnishing the inside of B's fridge...

Anonymous said...

"13...baby...slow down"...actually, baby, NEVER slow down unless your pace is causing you to miss something.  you are beautiful, especially in the shade of your ELM.  i don't know if i've missed you or if i never really knew you but damn...where'd you come from? i'm lovin the kim that rises and shines these days.

you know whats in the crease of my smile...damn poets!