E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2009-03-25

human trafficking piece for show


Mary of Bethany III

i was once some one’s daughter;
held tightly against protective bosoms,
feed spoiled and spilt milk dreams
that could never satisfy my voracious appetite.
i need to be full(filled).
i’ve seen what seems
like my motherless blood streams
burst at seams
let loose my woman child
expose her girl inside.
then she, I and we
clasp hands and hearts
as we watch our child (hood)
collapse, expand and unfold.
flow through vast green valleys
rolling bountiful through mountainous ranges;
only to be swallowed whole by the cold desolate desert sands.
disastrously unpredictable and painstakingly beautiful!
my life, stretched before and behind me
was once a series of yellow parking lines
tucked in a ghetto or concrete jungle.
cracked, disheveled and obsolete.
paralyzed to most eyes,
i am a delusion
speeding so fast.
I stood still!
never yielding,
junked illusions
plagued me
like broken rusted cars,
vagrants searching for their next fix,
and the heated steam that rushed from me just after
a summer rain!
yet I appear vacant.
my golden stripes,
shaded and faded fall
desperately deep into the
dense asphalt cradling the reality of my existence..
i am searching to blend and fill in.
i feast upon blandness and nothingness.
that emptiness sustains me,
like my life
it spans a billion miles each way
i turn..
i have aged and grayed
laying on my back;
traveled rail tracks;
tucked memories in knapsacks
stuck thumb in the wind;
vowing to never turn back..
each time
i sought myself
i’d find myself off track
brought back
bushwhacked,
attacked
beaten blue and black..
So I stay..
and weigh the weight
of lighted burdens wrapping me
holding me tightly
strangling me gently..
snatching me from tribal familiar
stolen before I ever knew my name..
they’ve tattooed highways,
and byways along my veins,
i am human cargo modernized slave..
i once called stop signs my father,
and street corners, mother.
i was born under
a black tarred highway
somewhere between hellfire and damnation.
linking death to liberation,
anticipation to desperation
expectation to trepidation.
the pungent confused condition
of enslavement
is the only constant I know..
aside from the lamp post lights
which rise, like the morning sun
so
i call stop signs padre,
street corners, madre,
they look over me,
protect me..
i cannot be human.
what else would birth a whore?
i was once someone daughter,
I just don’t know whose?


kdtaylor, 2009
section 8 coffee
all rights reserved

3 comments:

Ebony Stewart said...

Top notch! Lol. The K.I.M is back! Actually never left...

Shelle said...

you have truly honored her story...eventhough there are so many "her stories"

CousinSarah said...

Oh my god...thats all I have to say about that.