E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2007-08-12

National Poetry Slam

This past few days have been some of the highest and lowest points. Felt a multitude of emotions which left me feeling conflicted, confidant, loved, and like my sister who recently shed the "old" to allow "new" into her life, I, feel the same. Let's begin....
- Mo Browne has got to be the coolest, illest, sister friend I have met in a long damn time. I feel like crying each time she comes into town, because I know eventually we have to say "see ya later" and that later is always months..... Thanks for giving me that extra burst... And thanks for Guy.... I love my nick name: Domino. Where ever I lay my head, you can always call it home. Love you...
- Angel, Tee - Tee, Ebony.. you already know. Chucks, Veedubs and B-ball....
- My baby girls rocking the shit out of Daddy... Eb and Faye rocking Domestic Abuse.
- Team Charlotte (Slam and Respect the Mic) "... all I ever had, Redemption Song."
- PSI asked me to be the Volunteer Coordinator for the Women of the World Slam, March 2008. I told them I would definitely do it, if I do not earn a spot to compete.
- Neo is in the top 25.. Killeen earned # 2 spot.. Congrats to both Teams.
- I found my muse.
- Thanks Angel W., Angel H., Francie, Mz. Jackson and Dora for filling in at the last minute. It meant a hellalot. Trey, Rocky, Myra, and Angie' thanks for following up and through. Angie, let's go to Chicago!
Of all the compliments and accolades I received during the week. Steve Marsh asking me to do Chicago was the BESTEST! I lost at least 5 pounds, and it's the hardest I've ever worked in my life. Over all it was a blast, I met a lot of interesting people. The compliment from Louder after I finished my poem at the Women's reading was like whoa... FCKING LOUDER ARTS!
The lowest... I know I cannot please all... I can say that I have tried (AT TIMES), and it's exhausting. The volunteer and "friend" shit was disappointing. Really. I knew better, but you live and learn. I worked my ass off every night from 9:00 am to 1:00 am. Going to all five venues every night! Thanks to those who called me everyday to see what I needed (bRandy and Angel). Francie and Angel thanks for making sure I ate. Now....
The chair shit. And all it REALLY is, is just that, "SHIT".
Note: I asked three friends to work finals selling merchandise for me, as I had two volunteers that had to go home for emergencies. I saved three chairs for them to sit in as a favor. A small reward for what they were willing to do for me. I can't be responsible for anything other than the three that were CLEARLY MARKED "Taylor". If your last name was not Taylor you should not have been sitting there. I could have REALLY clowned you, those three seats were reserved by NPS for the THREE WOMEN WHO VOLUNTEERED FOR US AT THE LAST MINUTE. I owed them a decent seat. I don't owe an explanation to ANYONE, however, it's better to PUT IT HERE, so that when ANYONE bitches about it, it won't be misconstrued. Matter of fact, it might be best to apologize to Angel, Francie and Angel H. I am not responsible for anyone else and where they sit. I never said I would hold seats. I never said I would create a spot for people to sit. I was responsible for things much larger than petty shit regarding who and where ADULTS would sit in an open seated theater. But I was RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT I SAID TO THEM. So while you want to talk crazy to me in a theater, make faces, roll eyes, and all the other shit you do... To be insulted or caught off guard by my insistence on who would sit in those seats is an insult to me and THEM. I WORKED MY ASS OFF FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO DO THAT FOR THEM! I OWED THEM THAT! For YOU or any one else with sense of entitlement or the simple minded belief that some how I owe YOU something is fcking insane.
And if you're mad and stop speaking. I mean decide to stop faking. COOL. 'Cuz honestly, I don't call you or talk to you, and you'll be helping me shed A LOT of weight. The weight I've been trying to drop for along time.... Really.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

get'em girl!!!

my coffee is always said...

no, it really isn't cool to put it here, but damn.. you know? something to keep the "ohh she's tripping" crap away.

Copasetic Soul said...

yes, you did work ya azz off and dealt with a lot of bullshit. now its time to: relax, relate and blow that shit out!

i feel you about on the chair thing though.

put my name on the volunteer list for the Womens Slam!

wait, did you mention earning a spot...THATS whats up!

my coffee is always said...

ohh, blowed it out. you know writers have to write about it, if not it would have been a poem... I will... if, of course, i don't earn a spot... it was good to see you... hear you....

Mahogany L. Browne said...

if i could ever be prouder - i dont know how. u made me feel like i knew the biggest OPRAH mover/shaker in the world :)
always here, even in NYC time zone...love to u and Erika... always looking out and spoiling me. the world is truly bleek without ya'll mannnn :)

bRandy said...

good work...stuff was on point and it was clear you had a hand in all that and then some. when/how do you go about earning that spot on the women's team? you know who's in your corner all the way...
c,vd,bb