E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2007-07-19

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, M. E. T.

Inheritance....
I have the shape of my mother’s eyes, height, sharp tongue
and her insatiable thirst for love
She would swear I wore his swagger,
Like a tight sweater..
That I had his tendency to be a voiceless braggart
that simple air of arrogance
Hidden behind feigned innocence…
He, both Dads look at me
And see
The only woman that loved them freely,
They would never see me…
She would say, I had the
Need to cling and love as hard as he
In relationships I hang on too long and much too tightly,
In life, I need to act slowly and not re-act so quickly
He, both Dads look at me
And see
The only woman they wanted to love them unconditionally…
But none of that matters and I’ll tell you why......


Mom..
there were never any handmade cards with scrawled writing wishing you a happy birthday. Never an opportunity for breakfast with burnt toast and runny eggs. We didn't have a lot of years together, as Great Grand said, "God loved and needed you more." I'm not sure, once I learned the true meaning of forgiveness; that I've actually forgiven anyone, including God, in my lifetime. The Creator knows I've tried. Such a brutal lesson in blind trust. No child should have to learn these lessons at such a young age... I was only five. I have made life choices based upon a five year old's pain... And some how, at times, it's managed to work. Great Grand's story telling worked out. I was a good student at her feet. I am now a published poet. A book with a bar code. My bio, is simply a reflection of my village. Three generations of strong women. In there, Our name, TAYLOR, because Taylors make their way despite and in spite. My name, the first gift you gave to me, and as time would have it, the only one that I have held onto. On another July 19, I pray that the village celebrated with you. Happy Birthday, Mom.
your eldest....

1 comment:

bRandy said...

happy birthday Kim's mom...thank you for my friend.
bRandy