E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2007-02-23

MY SUPER HUMAN PH'd ANGEL!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANGEL!!!!!!

fallen superwoman (revisited)

she doesn't know that I see her the way
she really wants to be seen;
feel her the way she really wants to be felt;
love her the way she really wants to be loved
like I love my sisters,
like I love myself....
unconditionally conditionally...
wanting all that's best
despite our missteps
and frailties,
yet
she wears victoria's secret like a masked marvel,
leaping buildings not yet constructed..
boundless(ly)
she wears explicit prose draped ' round stiff collars
and fights demons lurking
in her shadowed
(seemingly)
controlled movements..
she veiled in family secrets
real and imagined
not realizing she does more harm to self
than any evil villain.
I wish I could write her wrongs
color her in hues long abandoned in her youth...
she learned heroes aren't people or sandwiches;
just bullshit caught 'tween wonder bread and miracle whip.
and she simply a miraculous wonder
whips wishes and remains.
she a healthy reminder for the family
to do and be more than what falls
between the cracks in ghetto sidewalks
colored in the shade of decayed blood
spilled by those before her.
that basic color of death
could never capture her or contain her dreams
which bleed past familial lines.
there is no color for invincible..
so she uses strong blacks to paint
the woman she wants to be
(and) wants everyone to see.
transparent to me
so she waits for a poem
that she doesn't want to be written,
and prays for the self redemption
that lies hidden
behind the tattooed angel
below her breast.
see, she doesn't know her strength
or power;
she doesn't know
in success or failure,
that in voice and breath
she'll always be
a superhero to me.
kdtaylor, 2006
section 8 coffee publishing
all rights reserved

3 comments:

Unknown said...

"there is no color for invincible..
so she uses strong blacks to paint
the woman she wants to be
(and) wants everyone to see"

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!

This line made me stop reading and back up over and over again! I love it!!!

Ebony Stewart said...

NICE!!!!!
Happy Birthday Angel!

Angel said...

you know, you make it sound like i'm pretty neat! this piece is both humbling and gracious. thank you for the kind words! :-)