E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2006-12-27

Last Grateful list of 2006!!! week and year lists

the week!
01) the best holiday season since my grand's death... and prolly one of the top 10 in my lifetime...
02) laughing about bummed christmases from childhood... and yes, i did ruin my shoes
03) sharing families and time equally on xmas day
04) sweet potato pie and macaroni and cheese
05) his abundant strength and power
06) getting what i needed
07) sleeping all day tuesday..
08) text messages with holiday greetings..
09) last minute trips to the outlet mall.. angel, jorge said "hello!"
10) starbuck's gift cards! (my sister REALLY LOVES ME!)
11) a job to return to.....
12) the last week of the year
13) and every breath.. shallow and deep...


the year!

01) learning, internalizing, and being absolutely okay with the idea that I am not for everyone and everyone is not for me.
02) the definition of frenemy, to paraphrase katt williams, "if some one's not hating on you, than you're doing something wrong!"
03) loving me in spite of and despite of me... I am responsible for how I feel. No one else can make me feel good, bad, or indifferent about me, but me. how fcking powerful is that!
04) regaining my power and exercising it...
05) my circle of beautifully talented women who chose to call me mentor, and i chose to call teacher. Ladies, "How often have I demanded from another (Black) woman what I had not dared to give myself -- acceptance, faith, enough space to consider change." thanks for this valuable lesson. i have internalized it and pray we continue to accept one another despite our life's choices, have faith that we will all be granted the peace and happiness we deserve, and continue to be there for one another, always recognizing our individual need/space for growth and change...
angel - "And so our mothers and grandmothers have, more often than not anonymously, handed on the creative spark, the seed of the flower they themselves never hoped to see -- or like a sealed letter they could not plainly read.” alice walker
eb - “Those that don't got it, can't show it. Those that got it, can't hide it.” zora neale hurston
sarah - “When we speak we are afraid our words will not be heard or welcomed. But when we are silent, we are still afraid. So it is better to speak." audre lourde
06) brooklyn..... again. thanks for keeping me grounded as a writer and a poet. i am still a grateful pebble. thanks for teaching me so much, despite the miles. yes, there is a kinship, a beautiful kinship among women. and i have learned to be careful whom i chose to call friend. thanks for ushering me through my fears. the view is so much better from here.
07) the lessons i've learned in life through loss.. in some loses there was such a beautiful reward on the other side.
08) forgiveness. 09.07.06. glad we started over, ma.
09) family. i've redefined my definition. and it feels good.
10) perseverance...
11) humility
12) grace (his)
13) "Love makes your soul crawl out from its hiding place." thank you.... i'm starting to feel like my old self, the one i see in your eyes.. i love you for that and so much more...

bonus- for you. to answer your question, yes. always. "No person is your friend (or kin) who demands your silence, or denies your right to grow and be perceived as fully blossomed as you were intended." alice walker.

5 comments:

Ebony Stewart said...

Beautiful list, thanks for sharing.
You indeed have so much to be grateful for.
Thanks for the shout out...it was right on point ;)
Thank you for believing in me and for being the friend you are, Auntie you've become, and the mentor I expected.

Hearts curve.

Unknown said...

dang lady! you put my list to shame! this was wonderful to read though and i'm grateful to have you as a friend...thankyou.

CousinSarah said...

Mentor, thank you for the quote...perfectly picked for my own challenges. Thank you for pushin me when I was scared to push myself. I have had so much growth this year. Thank you for being part of it.

Sorry I wasnt there for your kick off last night...I was in my heart. Much love

joey said...

beautiful lists...9-7-06, talk about new beginnings, glad too, glad too.
you did good last night, i know its not your comfort zone but you did good.
c u, huh?
much love and happy feet,
joey

Mahogany L. Browne said...

despite the obvious, you always make me want to be better...