E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2006-12-19

A few days left.....

As the year closes, I am caught in reflection... Glancing behind, as I anxiously looking forward. It's a beautiful view, despite the possibility of clouds. The last year has been one peppered with tremendous and oft uncomfortable personal growth.
- I have made a home with some one whom I love immensely. We have our ups and downs like any one else, but it feels good to be in this space.
- I have recognized that while November 25, 2004 through Feb 5, 2005 was memorable, it was not my lifetime; it was simply good while it lasted. I have since moved on. Life has a way of erasing 72 days of conversation, poetry and wine. Unfortunately I can still smell the bullshyt as a result of, as opposed to the period itself. At times, I wish I romanticized on it as deeply as some around me. But it was cool, thanks for being a part of my healing. (I am human and am embracing my humanness, imperfections, and the space I currently reside.)
- I can be a bitch and I am embracing the itch in me.
- It's something about being raised by old people.
- It's something about embracing the pain that resides deep within, recognizing loss, and knowing that you can never replace your blood (living or dead). And while we can't chose the people we are born to, we can chose the people whom we call friends and family. And that's it's really okay to re-evaluate and take action upon my place in their life and theirs in mine.
- That sometimes losing really means winning. What a prize. What a prize.
- I love my little writing crew (Eb, Angel and Cousin.) Good, bad or indifferent. You keep me hungry. Circle. Sisters. Circle.
- This has been the best year of live music.. Floetry, Goapelle, Anthony Hamilton, Jill Scott, Erykah Badu (2x), Dana (Queen Latifah), Mojoe (2x) and Raheem DeVaughn.
- I love poetry, not the slam, not the cliques and poetry gangs, not the recognition or fame. Mo, I'm still a pebble, Ma!! And I am so very happy for that. Yup, we worked hard, but it will never define me as a person or a writer. There is so much more to learn fromo the hungry pens towering above. Hell, I was dope before I ever got a score. (Eb, how's that for cocky?)
- Hosting as been one of the most valuable lessons in my life. It has been real, it has been great. It has tested my resolve. I have learned to recognize so many things about myself and my interactions with people. Thanks to everyone who ever graced the stage, you've left lasting imprints... most of all "humility, and I am truly humbled."

If this is my last, let it be a prayer.......

4 comments:

Ebony Stewart said...

How is it!
Freakin GRRRREAT! Like you Auntie (I feel you)
And I'm glad that I was introduced to your circle and humble self.

Thank you.
Hearts curve.

P.S. Lovin the new page!

joey said...

- It's something about embracing the pain that resides deep within, recognizing loss, and knowing that you can never replace your blood (living or dead). And while we can't chose the people we are born to, we can chose the people whom we call friends and family.

i know this will always be a work in progress for me... these little reminders help push me through, thank you

Angel said...

even though i feel that my part has been misicule, i see the divine in you. so glad that you have allowed us to share and grow in it together. you're the GOODEST gift that santa could ever bring a girl!!!! :-)

my coffee is always said...

ebony... I don't know about being introduced, i think it was something that just happened, and I am happy it did.

joey... I continue to work on this.. God knows I a can be unhealthy in certain environments, and I have to continue to recognize my faults.

angel.. miniscule my arse... whatever.. you're a bigger gift.