E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2006-08-14

I am for many words, very seldom, if ever publicly.. Sentimental...

Funky Crunk Mike Whalen: you are a giant among men. Big heart, infectious smile, profoundly silent, yet effective in your leadership role, and by far, one of the most able strategist in the slam world. I have learned a tremendous amount about life, poetry and friendship from you. Words cannot express the gratitude I have for the experiences and rewards. I only hope that when I find the courage to pick up a pen or pound upon my laptop, that my art (words and performance) enhance what I have gotten from all of "THIS".

Teamies: To name you individually would be a dis-service to what we have accomplished. There were no individuals in the group, simply individuals being themselves in the concept of a team!!! Individual voices, blending, merging, morphing and making significant contributions when needed the MOST. And ohh did we make it work. Fck we MASTERED THAT SHYT. Thank you for balancing me, teaching me, loving me, even being upset with me (when I deserved it.) I couldn't have asked for a better opportunity and environment in which to thrive and grow.

Angel/Sarah/Ebony: I pray that I am able to do for you what Mo has done for me. Befriend you. And selfishly grow as a person, writer, friend, and woman, by allowing you to help me grow. Because believe me I get so much more than YOU than you could ever get from me.... Know that.. it's always about giving.... And you are never my GROUPIES... Sisters, I am YOURS!!!!

Mo: You already know. I don't have to say a word. Sometimes it's difficult and I buckle at the knees. Struggling to do.. Struggling to be... You've taught me that the world is not full of selfish, bullshyting ass women. That women can uplift one another without a shred of jealously, maliciousness, or hate. Thanks for ALL that you do in spirit, love, words and writing.. Brooklyn in October!! Can hardly wait. Can I be a pebble to your rock? :0)

LaLove: If not you... Your spirit filled our hearts and we shared your words from the final stage, a subtle shout-out, but I know you felt the love! "I ain't no putha!"

ELM: All my attention and time... Uh ohhh.....

Masons: WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To the Neo-Souldiers, Community and Family: thanks for your continued support we could have never done it without you. Every venue, every night, recognized faces, shouts and love... We share this honor with you, we are the #2 Team in the Nation with the #1 Community of Support!!!

Lastly: My village (great-grand, grand, and mom). I pray that my voice represented.... I pray that my words reached you...... RIP: Jones/Belisle/Taylor...

7 comments:

Angel said...

this post made me cry...
oh my goodness, what a fckin' experience!!!! yall showed yall's ENTIRE asses in this competition!!!!! and the love yall showed my out of town peeps? PRICELESS and definitely APPRECIATED!!! i mean, how the hell...? who the hell...? what the hell...? i CANNOT believe this is my life and yall are my peeps and these people who didn't know, damn sure do now...! NEO!!!!!

watching you everynight, was nothing short of awe-inspiring. you are a warrior among men and women. there were times that i was watching you and my eyes would tear up. you are my shero kimberley taylor! i love you girl!!!! :-)

Copasetic Soul said...

Congrats for being part of a team this 2nd in the Nation. it wasn't home court advantage that got your team there either....it was hard work, unity and great team pieces.

thank you for being such a great big sister, friend and poet.

CousinSarah said...

Co sign on what Angel said, she always gets there first. :)

Ma, I cannot even tell you how proud of you I am. You push us and I appreciate that. Never minimize the kind of gifts we get from your mentorship ma....you give us much as we can give you. Know that. Your talent is amazing and I am blessed to learn from you.

I love ya tons ma.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT!??! LOL, that is all I could say...they didnt know.

And I want to thank the community too. It was amazing to see the support come out, to see the family grow...all of you made me proud to be part of Neo Soul.

Mahogany L. Browne said...

geez, you are some kind of wonderful aren't cha :)

BigSleep666 said...

Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity! I'm glad you feel I lived up to my side of the bargain. All the struggle and hard work paid off. It was all quite a ride.

Shelle said...

yes to all the above...
through the hard work, sacrifice and the pain...we are better people because of it, and kim and i are better women due to it all.

my coffee is always said...

Angel) I always have something to say, but this experience has left me humbly speechless... Can't wait to see you there!
Copa) Thanks for the love... Hope you can rebuild your community, you guys have a wonderful base..
Cousin) Promise to never get on you about nerves... I never under-estimate my gifts, you guys never underestimate yours to me!
MO) I hope I make you proud... I swear, I hope I make you proud! Thanks for the gift.. Your team was absolutely amazing!!! Thanks for trusting Brady with me.. Little things.. Tell her I said "hullo!"
Big Sleep) You are the comic book hero of slam poetry!!!!
'Chelle) Yes.. Ma, we passed the test.... We say it thru to the finish line... Final Stage 2 Women with a piece about WOMEN!!!