E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2006-03-21

Is that so.....

"Lately, your low self-esteem is just good common sense."
quoted from the motion picture Spanglish........

I am deliriously tired.... I am on my second week of travel. And while I am able to go home each Wednesday, just in time for Neo-Soul.... By the time I actually get that "much needed and highly anticipated restlessness" I never really catch up on my rest, it is time to begin to think about the next trip..... This job, while at times fulfilling, is not glamorous.
As I pulled into the drive way of the Renaissance, John, the valet, greets me, and upon opening the door of the rental car, "Hello, Ms. Taylor, should I check the menu at Eatzi's and order ahead for you, or shall you be dining there this evening? I bet you don't care much for this Durango, especially since you frequently drive the luxury sedans. A little to big for you, huh, and you hate the gas mileage. Is this your last stop?" He smiles pockets the keys, turns and says, "I know you're tired, so you're going going out again later tonight. Your job doesn't pay for the valet, so I'll keep the keys in my pocket until you return." Mind you, it's been, from my recollection, a few months since I did an audit in Dallas, and I know it's his job to know things, but whatdafck? He knew more then most people I know would know. Truth of the matter was I ABSOLUTELY HATED THE DURANGO, DIDN'T LIKE THE IDEA OF ANYONE, THE STATE OF TEXAS, TAXPAYERS, OR ME SPENDING 55.00 TO FILL IT UP AFTER GOING A MERE 200 MILES IF THAT... I WAS DOG TIRED, WAS NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO SLEEP, SO YES, I WAS LEAVING LATER TO GO TO EATZI'S TO PICK UP DINNER.
I wasn't feeling very good about myself, and I haven't for quite sometime. Recent events have given others an opportunity to express their opinions about me, the work I'm doing, or what I am doing personally. Feels pretty fcked up, and when you are tired, it's amplified. Tyler was a bust. Athens, cool, but I had to spend most of the day talking to an old acquaintance.. and while I didn't feel like talking to having lunch with her, I feared, I would get a bad evaluation, and Thursdays can be hell on me... The last thing I needed after being gone most of the week, dog tired, sleep deprived, was for my boss, or anyone for that matter to approach me with some bs... So I smiled, talked, and prayed patiently for the work to go smoothly. It did. So now, I'm patiently waiting, waiting for the opportunity to spread my wings and fly.... Hopefully next Tuesday, my fix, Floetry, will be what I need.... However, I leave two days later, on Thursday morning for Houston....

6 comments:

CousinSarah said...

First, I love the movie Spanglish. LOVE IT.

All I can say is sorry about the fatigue. Life is amplified when you are tired. Try to find a day this weekend where you can curl up in a space of nothingness...sleep, tv, ELM...whatever and just allow 1 day of pure veg. It can do wonders.

I am excited about Floetry too.

Copasetic Soul said...

damn, sis...that feeling of being dog tired can be rough..on top of that, you still have to put on the happy mask..when you get the chance
just close your eyes and meditate.

and if it helps, i got a nice big hug saved up just for you!

joey said...

you know you touch people right? i'll never forget our first conversation at ruta's, it was brief but still memorable. you impact people with your damn charm and it's a beautiful thing... you'll figure it out 13, breathe.

Shelle said...

hang in there momma, but yeah you need a day or even a few moments just to leave this place for awhile.
i see it in your eyes how tired u r, by the way....love what u been doing as our host...keep it up beautiful.
yes, joey, i agree...sometimes those quick conversations make a great impact...always thankful for them

Angel said...

"Working through the pain..." a phrase that I have loved and loathed, often simultaneously. I know you work hard to not only give the audience what they want, but to please "the man" too and that coupled with your "regular-gig" is enough to make anyone take a long run off a short cliff. Hang in there boo! By the way, in case you care, the slight wave in your locs lately is DAMN HOT!!! :)

Raquita said...

Tell the girls of Floetry St.Louis is waiting patiently for next (april 12th) which ironically is the day after my birthday -
Next I LOVE the movie Spanglish. That was the absolute best line of the whole movie.
Next next - I'm sorry things are so hyper in your world normally that is a sign that some peace is headed your way, FOr me that nromally means I'm simply gonna collaspe in exhaustion - I hope its is much more positive things for you! :) Breathe - ALOT! We are here for you - as much as we can be! We loves ya!!