E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2006-02-09

Everyboby Gets Dickmityzed... I mean Micmityzed

Last night was a hot night... Why am I a sad shade of blue....Rule Number One of Open Mic Hosting. No matter how hard you try, someone will always leave slighted, angry, disappointed or hurt. The truth of the matter is I am not a people person, so 95% of the time I could care less. Until it involves me. Personally.
What most don't know and believe is a joke. On average it takes me roughly $10.00 dollars to get started. That is, I spend at least $10.00 every Wednesday night before I ever set foot on the stage. It's spent different ways, however, there is one constant, two heinekens. It helps me relax, become comfortable with the crowd, my surroundings. Beer in hand, or beer just ordered and on my way to get, or beer on table waiting for me.... I walk the room in an attempt to greet every person in the stage and bar area. Afterward, I sit in a corner to regroup. To pull myself together. I do self talk. "You can do it. Take a deep breath. Baby steps. Got a new spill for the night, gotta keep them entertained. Do you remember everything you need to know. This isn't about you. This is a business, you are a part of the entertainment. You can do it." The bottom line is weekly I have to get a buzz because I can't deal with I DON'T WANT TO GO FIRST OR LAST, EVERYBODY WANTING TO GO NEXT, NOT WANTING TO GO AFTER THIS PERSON OR BEFORE THAT PERSON, IT AIN'T ENOUGH PEOPLE HERE, CAN YOU WAIT AND CALL ME LATER, PEOPLE ARE LEAVING AND THEIR NOT GOING TO SEE ME. DAMN.....
I cannot please everyone every week. Everybody can't go at the peak times every week. I have to rotate it. So I work on trying to please one. I wish I could say that it's me. But it's not. The man wants a show weekly, and I attempt to give him what he wants. As the host, I have the "power" , and I use the word loosely, to call whomever I want in any order I desire. For the most part I follow the list from the top to the bottom, with a few deviations here and there because people aren't used to signing the list. There are many styles to hosting and managing the list. Now, some hosts carry the list all night. Some hosts favor certain poets. Some hosts allow the "poets" to dictate the list, i.e. telling the HOST when THEY want to go up. Some hosts have been known to punish people who constantly ask to be put on stage by placing them further down the list. Some hosts will not allow a poet to read if they are not familiar or comfortable with the poet's material. Some hosts will tell you up front don't ask them about the list or when you will be called. I learned this from many hosts I talked to over the last year.
Me, I simply follow the list. I don't favor one poet more than another. To take it a step further, if I saw that you were favored in the past, I will make certain that I don't treat you any different than anyone else. The likelihood of you reading twice at our venue is slim to none. 1) Because they already paid for a feature, and they don't need two. PERIOD. Not their rule but MINE. And 2) There's really no way to be fair with allowing people to go twice, so I'd rather end the night and allow people to listen to music and dance. And 3) If you only get one shot, then it's up to me to bring you up like a fcking superstar and your responsibility to live up to it or down to it. I don't keep the list on me, so you can always check the BACK table. I leave the list on the back table to set a boundary. See, while fair is only in the dictionary, I work hard at it. It's not FAIR to ME or YOU, to allow YOU to come to ME and tell ME when YOU want to go up and ME doing it. There are a million people scrutinizing me. Constant eye contact doesn't work. Buying drinks doesn't work. Following me all night doesn't work. I am trying to give the MAN what he asks for. A GOOD SHOW. And every once in a while you may go later during the night. I AM NOT PUNISHING YOU. IT'S NOT THAT I DON'T LIKE YOU. MY JOB IS TO BUILD A HOT ASS SHOW. Sometimes I need strong poets later during the night to keep the crowd in their seats. Sometimes I need newer poets to go early. Sometimes I need certain people to go around the feature. Sometimes I just need to keep it hot. And I try, I try, to call upon those when I need them. It's my call.
What I'm saying is I don't want to be a DRUNK by the end of the YEAR because you are ADDICTED TO THE MIC AND RESPONSE YOU BELIEVE YOU ARE RECEIVING. My gurl Efa calls is mic masturbating.... doing it all for the wrong reasons. I do not want to continue to spend over twenty-five dollars every Wednesday just to cope with calling a few names and putting people on a stage. It's not about you. It's not about me. It's never about you or me. It comes down to dollars and common sense..... In other words it's business and never personal.
'Nuf said.....

8 comments:

Mahogany L. Browne said...

breath out...

CousinSarah said...

And, it's about poetry right? I guess the one thing I dont get is why, if you are performing for the love of poetry, does it matter if 5 or 55 people are there? If you wrote something hot, the 5 should love it just as much. AND if you are spittin to practice, then it also matters little. Otherwise, it is about ego and not about the words. I am about the words and I would guess most of the audience is too since that is what they pay to hear.

I dont get about worrying about the list, or where you are on it. Unless your peices tend to be xrated and in my opinion, some of those should go later because just like on TV, the RAW stuff goes on after hours. And that makes sense. If we start to make it that the rougher stuff goes at the end, then the crowd knows that and the fans of that can stick around for it. And if people dont stick around then maybe we need to look at how raw the pieces are. Just an idea.

You are doin a great job. You arent gonna please everyone, so be ok with that. Do your best to accomodate what you know the business needs/wants and what you need/want as a host. I really do think you are doin a good job with the crowd. Too many egos are bound to get bruised cause there are a million types of people, one you, one venue and limited space.

Do ya thing baby, do ya thang.

Anonymous said...

I personally think that people get scared Kin. Scared that people won’t like them. Scared that their poem isn’t hot enough. Scared that when the audience thins a bit, they’ll be left vulnerable. Scared that they might not get any “rewinds.” Scared that no one will get or like their piece. Scared that because they’re not a “new-souldier” the audience won’t treat them the same. Scared that they’ll have to admit to themselves why they really come each Wednesday. And what I have realized is that I have to acknowledge their fear, even if (and when) I might not agree with it or even understand it! No, that doesn’t mean that ANYONE has a right to hound you or press you about when they’re going on-stage, what poet is going next, or even to ask how long it will be before we get started. But it does mean that I will show them as much love as possible…until I have to slap their ass because they've gotten hysterical! :)

Like Sarah, I think you’re doing a TOTALLY AWESOME job! I DO NOT want you to become a drunk by the time the year is up. Your spontaneity and quick-wit do a great job of balancing the show and making others comfortable. Please don’t stop what you’re doing. Poets like you, Sarah, Chelle, Love, Brian, Joe, and James (even though he’s not here), have always been able to calm the nerves of poets like myself, when we don’t think we’re good enough. And who knows? Maybe these people don’t quite know how to thank yall for that, so please, allow me to thank yall for all of us…Thank you so much--really!

Angel said...

You see that blue underlining? So as of 1:00am I am now officially a blogger! (damn peer pressure! :) please check me out at http://fallenanjewel.blogspot.com/

bRandy said...

well, not being a "poet", i won't comment on all the rest...but as an audience member and neo-soul supporter, i will definitely offer my 2 cents on your hosting. You are doing a tremendous job. And I don't just say that from my own point of view (although I feel that way also), but I observe the crowd--I listen--so that I can give you the feedback you asked me for at the beginning of the year. People actually look forward to the host coming up--you're not just a filler there to say the name of the next poet--someone who could be replaced by anyone at anytime...you calm nerves, make enough of a fool out of yourself that they don't worry about making one out of themselves, and keep the crowd laughing and engaged. don't let them drive you to drinking kim, cause you're doing your thing each and every week--just be consistently you and that's all that the man, the mic, or the masses can ask for.

BigSleep666 said...

Next Wednesday, I'm buying you a drink!

Relentless said...

Hope you got my message 13.

Shelle said...

my sistah, u r doing an awesome job. like sarah and most everyone else's comments i agree with...its about the poetry. we come together for the love and the passion of it...well most of us do.
i am pissed about the recent events, but it too will pass and some more will come i know.
i know how hard this is for u, and every wednesday my admiration grows for u even more....as my boy relentless would say...Fyck EM!!