E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2005-12-26

Indian Summer

"The air is perfectly quiescent and all is stillness, as if Nature, after her exertions during the Summer, were now at rest." John Bradbury, 1817.

I vaguely remember her face. Her smile. Her words. Her voice. Her favorite colors. Most information was second hand. Casual conversation whispered beyond our youthful ears. "She was so beautiful. So much promise, Marg." They would often tell my grand. "And that Kim, well, she's just like her." I'd often smile, as I too wanted to be beautiful. I too wanted to have so much promise. Either by her own stubbornness, or innate desire to be mysteriously present in her aloofness, her essence remained, ever present. Years later, thru faded, tattered pictures her piercing, always knowing stare, meets it's mirror in my inquisitive almond shaped eyes. While my brown pales to her hazel we meet and I know intuitively what she had always known.
September 6, 1972. My sister and I sat neatly, on the turquoise chaise lounge that overwhelmed the small living room of my great-grand's living room. Indian summer arrived early, as it was still considerable warm, and we were afforded the luxury of wearing our matching light blue sun dresses. My long scrawny legs, moist from perspiration stuck fast to the to the pleather surface. My sister and I held hands. There were so many people in the room, a sea of faces we didn't quite recognize. It was not a Sunday nor was it a holiday, so we were a little excited, believing we were going to have a party. My great-grand's house was the place we gathered for special occasions and everyone was there, except her oldest, her favorite grandchild. The one who caused her lips to curl with a broad smile every time she said her name. The one she greeted with a huge bear hug, which stole all of our breaths. My sister on my mother's hip, me close holding my mother's hand, playfully hiding behind her nursing uniform. Her namesake. Our delighted expressions soon changed when we looked toward the caramel brown in our great grand's eyes. The hint of tiny crows feet which often looked as if they were leading toward the bluish grey tint of her wavy hair to nest, were furrowed. There were tears in her eyes as she reached toward us. She shook, in a way that was not consistent with having a chill, but fear. I began to cry as I didn't understand her look. My sister began to cry because I cried. "Your mother is not coming back," she said in whispers which seemed to permeate the core of every person in the room. All eyes focused, sadly, wearily upon us. "'Cuz she's at work, right great grand? 'Cuz she's at work right?" I ask. Not truly understanding the finality in her voice. "No, baby. She' not at work, she is resting with God."

3 comments:

bRandy said...

wow...never cried from a blog before...

CousinSarah said...

I cannot imagine what that feels like 13. And I love you. And I am so very scared of living through that experience.

This week my grand talked a great deal about the fact that her passing will come relativly soon. I know that, she is 83, but I dont want to hear that. I dont want her to talk about it. I dont want to acknowledge that reality. And like a child, I literally stuck my fingers in my ears and said "lalala" everytime she said something about it this week.

Nor do I want to acknowledge the reality of my mom saying she is jealous that someone she knows who has passed, is getting to meet Jesus. She doesnt totally understand my anger that rises when she says it. I know she is just at peace with what will happen after she passes, but it is a place I cannot go. I cannot and will not imagine what life will be like when she goes. And I watch her take less and less care of herself and it is really starting to scare me.

I cannot imagine 13, and my heart feels like it is breaking when I do. So tonight, after reading this, my heart broke for you as well. And I just want to send you the most peace you can have.

Shelle said...

damn this one hurt, buy some comfort in remembering....
my beautiful oak/willow has parted this plane since '92 and i still catch myself picking up the phone to call her...