E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2005-11-25

Giving Thanks to Turkey, Pork and Trees....

I am the most carnivorous vegetarian I know. Did I mention I was suppose to be working on becoming a vegetarian? Yup, for the last three months. Most days I'm damn good at eating vegetarian. I bought all the Boca and Morningstar products. Freezer packed with tilapia, shrimp, and various cheese/portobello mushroom filled pastas. Now, I don't want to be confused with the girl who eats meat when someone else is picking up the tab.... I will gladly purchase it myself. So I'm not wanting to be vegetarian because I can't afford meat. Nor do I want to be that cute bohemian sista who, you know, doesn't eat meat... I made the choice for discipline and focus. Kind of like when I stopped smoking. I quit cold turkey... Don't get me wrong, I planned to eat meat during the holidays, two scheduled relapses, Thanksgiving and Christmas.. but damn, I over did it so much that I am afraid.... I liken this experience to the amaretto/tequila Monterey trip my freshman year in Undergrad. By the time we got to the International Bridge in Laredo, I was sick as a dog, and was throwing up literally in Mexico and the United States. See, I woke up with a meat hangover, breath reeking of fried turkey and (OH THE HORROR) smoked pork loin. (These people, the pecans and the elm can cook!!! So I practiced a deadly sin: gluttoney. 'Chelle, grazing is for PUNKS!!!) And I ate so much I wanted to be sick. Again the pecans and the elm can cook, I am so ashamed, I prostituted myself so well for the meat. And ohh to be a five dollar whore on pay day... well, actually, I was.. I am slightly embarrassed, but as they say in any 12 step program admitting is the first step.
Aside from that, Thanksgiving was absolutely perfect. I could not have asked for better company. I was, as always where I wanted to be. Thank you. (Anything more will get me into trouble....)
To my peeps I didn't get to call to wish you a good day, I'm offer a sincere apology and pray that you all went happily and returned better than you were before. What I wanted to say, to my regulars... I love ya... I missed you... And thanks for being a gift I can open daily. On good days, I am eternally grateful, and on bad days, I am truly blessed... To my trees, ELM, OAK, MELIACEAE, and those darn PECANS... Thanks for allowing me to be a small part of your life.... Meliaceae, I'm still a pebble, trying to be a rock.... I miss you... and no I cannot get instant messaging....

5 comments:

Relentless said...

it is very very hard to give up meat. now i still a little chicken, and lots o' turkey, now to me i have done a great deed, i did it for health reasons, but whatever the reason is, if you need help with the hand slapping when you pick up da meat, holla at me, we can start up a meats anonymous, well since i just said it it wont be anonymous, what is the point of the anonymous for addicts, ummm, am i spelling anonymous right?

Anonymous said...

Is __________ considered meat?????I am so glad your Thanksgiving was all you hoped for. I pray that you hv just developed the premise and basis for many to come. I know I did. Just like a tree........

Mahogany L. Browne said...

dammit to hell!

i want to talk all day. its easier if you can get aol on the computer. but you are with the great state of TX. so i guess i have to rely on this. :( glad you had fried turkey. i was quite homesick. but it all worked itself out in the wash. tell jo i got my package! thanks - it looks beautiful

bRandy said...

i am glad that you had a great thanksgiving! thanks for thinking of me...did you see Rent? If so, let me know how it was, although I doubt it could have been anything but wonderful!
maybe we should find a new place to meet up for our occasional lunches cause i know i am no help in the vegetarian department...but if it would help, i can get down on some pasta or something! :o)

-B

CousinSarah said...

I almost called you on Thanksgiving too. I am proud of you for trying to cut out meat cause I couldnt DO IT. :) Thanks for being such a wonderful mentor. I am really enjoying developing a friendship with you. Glad your day was good.