E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2005-10-04

Bald eh more?

Okay, so I'm standing on the corner of St. Charles and Baltimore. I had just eaten crab cakes and grilled mahi mahi, so my belly's tight and full... and I am buzzing, slightly, from the Heineken, the bustle around me, and the fact that every corner I turn, there is someone who looks exactly like me.... It is BEAUTIFUL....
Shit eating grin, looking like a country assed second cousin twice removed. ( I really don't look country, just i know i look like a tourist cuz everything is so new to me..) I flag a cab, "8 E. Preston, please." I am hyped, as I am going to get a fix of some poetry, a little jazz, and some slow grain (alcohol). The cab driver gives me the run around to earn an extra buck or two, I'm cool. I know the route and I know what he's doing so I just talk to him a bit, letting him know that I know he took the wrong turn.
I get to the spot.. The cabbie and I, he slightly annoyed as he has another call, look for the Cafe.... There is no Yours, Mine, Ours Cafe anyfrickinwhere in sight. He let's me off, insisting, operatative word, insisting, that this is the place. After surveying the area, scanning for bus stops and foot traffic, I reluctantly pay the $9.00, get out of the cab and enter what's suppose to be the Cafe. Instead, I find a smoky local bar, the patrons look cool, but it's not the poetry spot I was feigning for. I ask the waitress if this was the place, she stated....
"This bar has changed names a few times. There hasn't been any poetry here for at least a year. I've been here that long. Funny, there was another woman here earlier looking for poetry. She said she got if off the internet. She had the same look on her face as you have. She wasn't too happy either."
What the hell?
I walk out onto Preston and think to myself, "where do I go from here?" I walk back to St. Charles, which is now a one way street, going the opposite direction of my hotel, and I notice a bus coming in my direction. I decide to walk two or three blocks to another street, and guess what comes my way? The number 11 (my favorite number) and it appears to be heading in the direction I need to go. I flag it and hop on. It drops me off one block from my hotel. $1.60. Now, I'm not cheap, but it has cost me $10.60 to go I know only about 2 miles in 20 minutes. (Who's the cheap whore, I ask? Then laugh, cuz I know it's me, I got fucked for $10.60.) So, aside from not getting any poetry tonight. I'm starting to feel pretty bummed 'cuz Talaam and Marc are not in town and I'm on my own, except of course the, now known, unreliable information contained in an unmentioned website...
HOWEVER, my village did raise a child who can look on the bright side.... the chance that there is poetry tomorrow will keep me alive. Wednesday is anything can happen day!
Aside from the adventure. I am having a good time. I have wandered around the city doing, for the most part, what I want. I am eating lots of REAL seafood! Almost as good as the Cape. I have been able to successfully dodge my coworkers, and have some alone time. Occasionally, there was an experience or two that I would want to share with that special someone. Hopefully we will make it back on vacation....The harbor is beautiful at night and I am thinking about you.....
Tonight, I looked into the depth of night and caught a glimpse of your smile... the cool of darkness pulled my jacket closer, pulling me close, the way your arms do during the silence of our dreams.... in that moment I missed you, needed you, and wanted you, more than you would ever know....

No comments: