E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2005-09-06

I'm an Alien, I'm an Illegal Alien, I'm a N*gr# living in the USA

Three things astonished me over the weekend. All of which have me clutching my chest, my heart is breaking, a newly found and enriched desire to become spiritually grounded, as well as wondering when did I bump my head and fall completely off the face of the Earth as we know it.

A quick quiz if you will,

1) How do people residing in their native country become refugees?
a) You were recently a victim of Hurricane Katrina.
b) You reside in Orleans Parish, USA.
c) You made less then $9000.00 annually and lived well below the 30% poverty line.
d) You are black.
e) All of the above.

2) According to Barbara Pierce Bush why are the "refugees" suppose to be happy to live in tent cities across the state of Texas?
a) It beats swimming/wading in an oil slick, disease ridden cesspool with a bunch of corpses.
b) The summer home at Kennebunkport doesn't have any more space available.
c) We know deep down, you never resented Texas, just always wanted to be like us.
d) It's so damn humid there, you know?
e) You're underprivileged anyway, so this should work very well for you.

3) What's the real deal with the President and black people?
a) "There's a historical indifference to the pain of poor people and black people." Jesse Jackson
b) "Nobody, especially the president, would have left people unattended on the basis of race." Condoleezza Rice
c) "What me worry?" George W. Bush
d) "We cannot allow it to be said that those who lived and those who died in this great storm and flood of 2005 was nothing more than poverty, age or skin color." Rep. Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-MD)
e) "George Bush doesn't care about black people." Kayne West, Rapper

I took clothing and volunteered yesterday at the Convention Center. I was there for about three hours. Not only were they difficult, but very sobering. The donations, a small contribution to their livelihood, would never make a significant dent in the truest form. There was no denying, I could not fool myself into believing it to be nothing more than that. Putting a shirt on someone's back. I have felt helpless, but never in this manner. I have known powerlessness, but this is simply humbling and weakening. I carried conversations and spoke to people. I walked thru the center in search of something MEANINGFUL to do. Passing out food, sorting clothing, just didn't seem like enough.
I am a Texan. Not a Barbara Pierce Bush Texan. My ideas do not mimic either of her Georges, by George! So I do not believe that "this should suffice" for the poor people who were, well poor, anyway." While I am sure our "VISITORS", as stated on the badges and nametags worn by those directly impacted by Hurricane Katrina residing at the Austin Convention Center, were happy to be alive and well, the reality of their situations was sinking in quickly. Not just for them, but all of us. Some are home owners, professionals, parents, citizens, uhhhhh VOTERS trying to put their lives back together. They are banded together, not by race, socio-economic, region, city or state, but by DEVASTATION! Fucking Barbara, don't you get it? Yes, it is estimated that 30% of Orleans parish lived below the poverty line averaging $9000.00 annually per household. But what about the others? The lost middle class? I'm not naive enough to believe that race is NOT a factor somewhere in all of this, just not stupid enough to believe that it is the ONLY FACTOR. Our current administration and extended family cannot see past their noses. They are oblivious to the needs of the masses. They don't know that poor does not mean you cannot have civil liberties and basic luxuries? They don't know that poor doesn't always mean black? And they sure don't know that Black does not mean poor? When you walk into those shelters, all of these people are not BLACK, HOMELESS, POOR, CRAZED, LOOTING, CRACK ADDICTS. It is estimated that 1 in 9 are HIV positive and in need of meds. That 500 are in need of methadone maintenance programs to remain drug free, at least 1000 have inquired about reciprocity regarding professional licenses and credentials, even more have sought assistance and are inquiring about their ongoing educational needs, i.e transferring to Texas Universities, Colleges and Jr. Colleges. There are families with children. Extended families. The profile of an Orleans parishioner is vastly different than the picture placed in the news of a looter being pulled out of a drain pipe at gun point.
Now, I'm paranoid and fearful. It appears as if those Texans who Love the Bushes are volunteering. As I walked around the Convention Center yesterday, badgeless, (I love anonymity) I was approached by at least three "volunteers", who did not share my bronzed caramel colored birth-right, asked me "How was I adjusting?", wondered if "I needed anything?", ensuring that I was comfortable and had my needs met. Mind you, a VISITOR was standing near me on one occasion. But he, too, didn't share my birth-right. Yet, I was clean. My clothes matched. Hell, I had on a 25.00 t-shirt, and I swore it cost more then one volunteer's entire outfit. I had on jewelry. My locks were tight, freshly washed. You know? A simple question like "How's your day?" or similar would have given them a clue to my identity.
Before responding, I was forced to ponder? How do I answer that question? I wasn't offended, just taken slightly aback. How, are these people, who are insensitive to me, suppose to help others. Millions of thoughts ran thru my mind: Had they done any cultural sensitivity training? Why were there so many people who looked nothing like the "VISITORS" assisting. Wasn't there a need to be culturally matched with the population. These "volunteers" couldn't understand what half the "VISITORS" were saying. Did they know how thick a New Orleans accent could be? Oh, no, indeed, no. De ha' no klu, no. Dey don no wat dem people sayin' no." As I overheard many volunteers asking the VISITOR could they please repeat themselves.
Ignorance is not an excuse. I don't care if you're the media, the president, the mayor, the governor, whodafuckever! If your're going to help. Help. But do a self inventory on why you're doing it. It's like self disclosure, who's it really for? You, the people, or the opportunity to say you did it? Ya know? If you want to help. Help. I encourage you to do so, but arm your self with just a bit of civility, empathy, kindness, compassion and most of all intelligence.
Finally, I answered the question. "I am adjusting to the temperature in the Center well. Driving a convertible can be hell in this Texas sun." "No, I don't need anything other then some information on what I can do to help. Just a little information to help, that's all. Can you direct me?"

3 comments:

Mahogany L. Browne said...

a "f" n men

CousinSarah said...

13-
I am trying to get over there myself. And I am slightly afraid cause I have been emotional and now numb at what I am seeing. Like if I allow myself to feel what is in there I wont stop crying. Ya know, it just never stops amazing me how many people dont get HOW MUCH they dont get it. It angers me, too often keeps me in emotion and out of logic. I cannot even do the poltical debates about the flood right now...JUST GET THE SHIT TOGETHER AND HELP THE F*&KIN PEOPLE. Because really, all that other shit is replacable. I talked with a friend yesterday about whether or not this would be a pennacle for change once there was enough calm in the storm. If this is what will overcome the apathy, will push the ticket, will get people mobilized in some way for change. I dunno. I hope so. In the meantime, I hope that we can just take care of the people.

CousinSarah said...

13-
I am trying to get over there myself. And I am slightly afraid cause I have been emotional and now numb at what I am seeing. Like if I allow myself to feel what is in there I wont stop crying. Ya know, it just never stops amazing me how many people dont get HOW MUCH they dont get it. It angers me, too often keeps me in emotion and out of logic. I cannot even do the poltical debates about the flood right now...JUST GET THE SHIT TOGETHER AND HELP THE F*&KIN PEOPLE. Because really, all that other shit is replacable. I talked with a friend yesterday about whether or not this would be a pennacle for change once there was enough calm in the storm. If this is what will overcome the apathy, will push the ticket, will get people mobilized in some way for change. I dunno. I hope so. In the meantime, I hope that we can just take care of the people.