E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2005-09-09

The Exploitation of the Orleans Parish Negro

Ray, You are the man.... I mean you were emotional, and made a damn good argument....... My Dad always says emotional outbursts lead to the subsequent fall of our people..... Ray, as much as I love you, and believe me, you have my support, as we enter another stage of grief, "WatchagonnadoBro?".

Denial/Isolation Anger Bargaining Depression Acceptance
Kubler-Ross stages of grief

The Parish and Municipal governments' Chief Executive has overall responsibility by law for the direction and control of emergency/disaster operations and is assisted by a Local Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness Director. Such responsibilities include the development and implementation of emergency management programs to provide for rapid and effective action to direct, mobilize, staff, train, and coordinate use of local resources. The local director will plan for the protection of life and property for his citizens during times of emergency/disaster incidents.
STATE OF LOUISIANA
Office of Homeland Security and
Emergency Preparedness



Saturday Morning....
"Ray, you cannot shut down the city. New Orleans has withstood this type of storm in the past. Do you know how much revenue the city will lose as a result of this? I mean, what if they're all wrong?" Who cares who said it, you know it was whispered behind a closed door.

Now, I know what you're thinking. No, I am not turning in my black card. I, too was flabbergasted by the method in which the hurricane Katrina disaster was handled. But on all fronts. Not just the Federal Level. State. And Yes, I'm going to say it. LOCAL. No, I didn't vote for the Leader of the New World. I also have was taken a back and insulted by the insensitive referrals to the "displaced" individuals impacted. I was appalled by Barbara Pierce Bush's comment. I was also irritated by Celine Dion's "drama filled" display on CNN. Since when do you wipe tears from your face with a wisp of air from broad stroking fingers which do not come within a mile of your face? The celebrities and all their photo ops. They've been to New Orleans before, how much change did you throw on the street to the little boy tap dancing on the corner of St. Charles? And Essence Festival staff? You knew also how poor those people were? How much did you put back into their economy? Where were you when it started to mist, and the waves of Lake Pontratrain began crashing over the walking trail?. My gosh!!!!! And as much as I love Kayne's t-shirt slogan, it was ill-timed. And if you didn't give because of it, SHAME ON YOU. You didn't want to give. What I am most proud of is the manner in which AMERICANS have stood together to help. (yes, celebrities are Americans, too.)
I'm confused though. Why are we giving $2000.00 debit cards with no real plan to assist these people in long term survival? I mean some of these people have never seen this kind of money. What is a crack addict gonna do with a $2000.00 debit card? I'm thinking about changing careers, or at least look toward the "glory days" when they sold food stamps for 50% on the dollar. I wonder how much that debit card is worth on the street? I'll get to this SHYT next week. Maybe there's something in the news I haven't read.. I do know that some Houstonians have already huslted the system and obtained illegal cards.....UGHHHHH. Think people. This is turning into a horrible B movie entitled The Exploitation of the Orleans Parish Negro. I wonder if Terrence Howard will play Ray Nagin? I smell new millennium ghettofication, except this time it will be 'Domes and Convention centers across the USA. DAMN......

Ray, a little known fact, sometimes in the stages of grief, they refer to forgiveness. Once everything is clear, the Bushes, Brownie, Condie (damn those shoes) FEMA and everyone else will take a huge hit, which they should. We'll remininse, recall how Gen Russel Honore saved thousand of lives, and be remind by some 7th grader about basic government structure, and the role of commerce and revenue. We'll nod our heads, recognize your role in this catastrophe, then begin to heal and forgive you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading from Sydney, Australia. Can't remember how I found it, but I like your blog a lot and wanted to tell you that. I also wanted to say, our govt - as Bush-sympatico as they are - tried to send help over in the first couple of days and it was rejected. I know a lot more now about the (inexcusable) 'whys' than I did then, but seeing our (horrible! racist-esp-re-muslims-and-aboriginal-aussies! conservative!) Foreign Minister, Alexander Downer (and yes, he is), on TV openly expressing his disgust that pragmatic support had been turned away was an eye-opener for me. So it's *not* lead coursing through their veins? No, no, it is. He just had a vaguely human moment.

What was on Kayne West's T-shirt? I saw a web video of what he said (I adore him for that, ill-timed though it might've been, and I hadn't even considered that till you wrote what you did, I have to admit...), but the video was dodgy quality. Can't remember seeing the T-shirt clearly enough to make out what was on it.

PS: I don't have a blog here. I'm over at LiveJournal if you're wondering who I am: http://www.livejournal.com/users/fleakitty/

CousinSarah said...

13,
We kinda talked about this together. So I just want to say...Tell 'em, cant change a damn thing until we tell the entire truth and deal with all areas where there was failure. Otherwise, it just becomes an agenda and then discounted as such...and shit stays the same.