E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2005-08-31

".... never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth." Genesis 9: 10-12

Really? The people in New Orleans, as well as coastal Louisiana and Mississippi would argue this point. As I watched the news I was tearful as a man described holding his wife's hand only to see her horrifically snatched from his grasp. I could only think of the people I love. Only think of my life. Only think of how selfishly I have lived, with my arrogant expectations, and false sense of entitlement. Unfortunately tragedy has a way of opening your eyes, and making you grateful for the simpler things.
Katrina and her devastation was difficult to believe or even comprehend, as I watched the news last night. In a time when movies can depict battles of the universe and total destruction of the world, we quickly recognize in the wake of this storm that we are not as desensitizied as we once believed. Or at least I am not. CNN as well as the local news showed flood waters swallowing some of my best youthful summers and childhood memories. A very somber feeling. Recognition of humanness and that everything must converge.
The first time I heard Prince's "When Doves Cry" was on the ride from Texas to New Orleans, on WYLD. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. "Dig if you will a picture of you and I engaged in a kiss....." I fight back emotions as I think of drinking Big Shotz pop and eating hot sausage po-boys on the porch of my Grandfather's rental properties in the 9th Ward. Most, at the time, housed various family members and friends so we walked all over the area from Feliciana Dr. Riding bikes to Louisa St. Walking the rail yard and catching rides uptown. Sticking around one summer nearly a week before school started 'cuz I wanted to go to Abrams High School. Later crying all the way home on the flight, because my Grandfather told me that if I stayed I would have to go to Xavier Prep. (I didn't know it was a good school at the time. I wanted to go to Abrams because all my friends and cousins were going.) Smoking and buying "puffies" in the Desire projects. I got my first fake ID on Canal St. and used it thru my sophomore year in Undergrad. Working for my grandfather's girlfriend at the Superdome for various events. I still have autographs from the bands that attended Superfest. As a teenager I saw Stevie Wonder and DAMN NEAR EVERY SUPERFEST concert, watched Sugar Ray Leonard and Roberto Duran fight, attended Saints games during the holidays, the Sugar Bowl and the Classic. So many memories, simple things, all of which I stored, seldom bringing it up until today.
I used the biblical quote because often that which impacts us becomes our WORLD, our EARTH. Everything that stabilizes us, make us who we are. Perhaps it is this idea that made so many who did not have the means in which to leave the city stay and remain. Perhaps the idea of leaving it all behind was far more painful then witnessing the devastation. Believing "if I stay there is hope."

My Uncle Rudy and Grandfather are still there, somewhere. Prayerfully helping others. My heart continue to go out to those impacted.

Lastly... Happy Birthday to my Aunt Suzy.... YOU ARE MISSED AND YOU ARE LOVED. Not a day goes by that I don't carry your memory in my heart.

1 comment:

joey said...

13, babygirl, i'm thinking about you with this tragedy at hand and pray all is well...see you tonite.

much love,
kotalian
p.s. ---my blog is updated :-)---