E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2005-08-30

Katrina and my Grandfather

"Hell, it ain't nothing but a little rain, we've seen it before. I just got back from Chicago, I ain't driving to Texas. I moved some stuff out the house and boarded up the rental property. If it flood, it floods. I'm going to stay at the jail with your Uncle. Since I retired, they let me come and go. Or maybe I'll go down there and help your cousin at the 'Dome. She's still managing down there."
Charles Belisle, my grandfather who resides in New Orleans, La.

In case anybody wonders where I get it from. He did not leave. He decided he was going to "hang out" at the jail with my uncle who works for the Sheriff's Department. My Grandfather retired from the Department a couple of years ago. Anyway, stubborn or foolish, he stayed. He, like others can only imagine what remains of their homes. My prayers go out to those impacted.

Congrats to Gen Van Cleave and Peter. A badass poet and even better person who was married this past weekend at the site of the Peace Rally, just outside President Bush's Crawford, Texas Ranch. A true example of political poetry. No one could've written it any better......

No comments: