E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2005-08-15

If you build it.........

Where do I start? Perhaps the beginning, but that would be too friggin' simplistic.....
First - to my SisterMentorFriend Mo Browne.... you continue to be an amazing individual, a strong influence on my alter ego Live Mik, and a peaceful constant in my life. Thanks for allowing me to be your groupie! Naw, thanks for the introductions and ongoing friendship. YOU ARE A ROCK STAR.. Can I be a Pebble Star? And next time, can I turn on the air conditioner? Damn Yankees!!!!
Second - Hustle and 6. If not by blood by bond..... Love you.
Third - My girl's "Guy"... She's fortunate. You two are too damn cute for me....
ON TO THE SHOW!!!!
01) Janean Livingston - redemption never tasted sweeter!!!!
02) Someone please look out for me because I may soon be violating stalking laws in two states: Washington (Christa Bell) and New York (Anis Mogjani). There are no words, audible sounds, languages, to describe their talent and performances. Uhh Mo, I know you're reading this, so can you hook me up with the live cd (Christa) or at least a book (Anis)? B will never believe me when I tell me about these two!!!!
03) Fort "Party" Worth - sheer determination
04) Queen Sheba and Team Charlotte - Mirror!!!!! And the fact that you have a gazillion group pieces, now that's TEAMWORK.
05) Gorilla Tango - OHHH MY GOSH Becky, look at that bout!!! Can you say New York Louder Arts, New York Urbana, Central Jersey and DC-Baltimore? Imma name drop for a minute: (Mo Browne, Jive Poetic, Taylor Mali, Roger Bonair-Agard, Rachel McKibbens, Carlos Gomez, Chad Anderson.....) Okay, Okay, Okay... there were 5 teams, and I have to say Oklahoma City had balls of steel.
06) Rives (Team Hollywood) Don't give a damn, what he did on the final stage was dope!!!! I really hated that some people I know "Booed and made f'd up comments while he was on stage!!!)
07) My Texas Homies thanks for letting me hang wit' y'all cool asses!!!!
08) Will Da Real One, Chunky, Marc Marcel, Mona Webb, Lucky 7, Queen Sheba, Xero, Ragan Fox, Buddy Wakefield, Beau Sia, Flowmentalz, Rachel, Roger, and countless others thanks for not being on some rock star shyt... Loved the conversations, no matter how lengthy or limited....
8.5) Unfortuantely some of the wackest-azz poets were on that Rock Star Shyt.... I'm from Texas Baby!!!! Austin, TX. Do you know us? If not, pleased to meet you.
9) Asia, L and her homeboy (forgot his name) for the BEST T-SHIRT logos, slogans and designs of the week.
10) The city of Albuquerque. Unfortunately, ants can and will destroy a picnic. I cannot say it was only those persons who supported the home team that were disrespectful and not supportive of other poets, 'cuz I sat by some and they all were not from New Mexico. It appeared, at times, that a lot of poets and audience members took sips from the infamous well of Haterade. Home team advantage is just that, an advantage. Sometimes it's luck, sometimes it's skill. Was Albuquerque the best team? Not in my opinion, but a lot of people would say the Spurs should not have won the NBA championship (ALL THREE TIMES). In other words, we all have our favorites.
I have no comment or opinion on what happened. I won't even say it was unfortunate. I believe that everything happens for a reason. There were questionable things that occurred during the week. For example, Albuquerque's semi bout was moved to a larger venue to accommodate fans, but one of the most anticipated bouts:
Louder Arts, Central Jersey, Urbana, DC Baltimore, and Oklahoma (I had to mention Oklahoma okay?)
*Taylor Mali - Def Poetry Jam, a very recognizable slam poet who was on his last slam team ever!
*Rachel McKibbens - Def Poetry Jam staple!
*Roger Bonair Agard - Def Poetry Jam/Critically acclaimed poet/Cave Caven Alum
*Mo Browne - Also HBO fame
*Sonya Renee - 2005 Indy Champion
to list a few points, was left in a tiny venue were people were forced to sit on the floor and violate fire ordinances in all 50 STATES...
Despite some questions, and questionable people, the week was cool. Had a lot of fun, made some friends, reconnected, and above all, I have been inspired to raise the bar with my pen and my performance.
The week was truly humbling......

3 comments:

Mahogany L. Browne said...

how was anis' feature?? did you ge tyour book?

my coffee is always said...

Anis came up last, around 10:30 or so, and I had to leave to check Marc Marcel out. I watched Sonya Renee do a wonderful performance, as well as see all of Team Austin's group pieces. Anis did not have a book, so I got his cd. Also, I think Sonya is coming to our spot next week. I left her Herman's info. She will be here for a week. Really wished I could have talked to her more. How are you? Uhhhh, did you find out anything about my cd?

Mahogany L. Browne said...

left a message. my phone sucks - you know that... gimme a second. i will work it out