E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2005-07-29

DID I SAY MO WAS IN TOWN?

Mad crazy week...
did I say Mo was in town?
Tuesday:
Crazy.... Vocab takes care of her Neo-Soul fam by picking up MO for us.... Bfran, Jo and I have a hard time getting out of the ATX. Juiced on spiked Chick-Fil-A lemonade (Jo and I) and frustrated by Austin traffic, we head to SA, home of Puro Slam. MO's featuring and we're bringing her back to her second home: ATX... Puro Slam is off the chain as usual. This cat T-Bone is hosting the show. I served as one of the judges for the evening. Now judging at Puro Slam is as exciting as participating in the slam. This is one of the few venues that has hecklers, that's right, HECKLERS. As usual, SA has it's slew of characters, and I had the opportunity for the first time, to score a poem a 0. One that should have never been written and believe me, I hated he wasted the pen's ink, paper and my time. The audience agreed by beginning the Car Wash clap in the middle of his piece. (REMEMBER, PEOPLE COME TO HECKLE). MO, as always, did an excellent performance. And congrats to Baby Bop (Vocab) who took home first place. We drive back to ATX at 1:30 am stimulated by discussion with our sister MO. Bfran and she catch up. And I get the much needed sistergirl lovin' vibe thru conversation and inspiration. That is, until we get to Bfran's and she makes a crack about HIP HOP and the distance between my house and Bfran's (17 miles) she swears it was a thousand..... We get to sleep about 4:00 am.
Wednesday:
8:00 am. Up and at 'em. MO's is scheduled to facilitate a workshop at the Conference fof Alcohol and Drug Addiction Counselors and Prevention Workers. Mike G. (Ft. Worth), Vocab (SA) Amanda (Kentucky/Austin), Relentless (Austin: NEO-Soul), B-Fran (Austin: NEO-Soul), Korim aka Jono (Austin: NEO-Soul), Element (Austin) and myself (Austin: NEO-Soul)are a part of the workshop. I was honored to be in the company of my peers (Poets) with my peers (Substance Abuse and Prevention). It was a rare experience, in that, truly gratifying. And my day kept getting better. After the conference we went to eat at the Cheesecake Factory. Mike Guinn is as goofy as he is talented. That's all I'm gonna say on that. Nothing but laughs and positive reflection. Another rarity as well as a favorite, good food, good drink, surrounded by good friends that pose as good family. Did I say my day kept getting better? I got to host that night at our spot!!! Thanks B and Hustle. If I might say so myself the show was HOT HOT HOT.... MO came thru as special guest. This cat Kevin out of Cali came thru and did the THING... He tore the house up with "Is It a Crime.. And the NEO-Souldiers showed everyone who's house it was.... Also, the bartender Mike, introduced me to a new favorite drink, Red Headed Slut.... Didn't I say my day kept getting better? And it did. It ended as well as it started. I closed the night with Raheem DeVaughnn...... what more can I say? Wednesday, my favorite day of the week. Anything can happen day, and it usually does.....
Thursday:
I met MO to go to dinner and later go bowling with the crew. HIP HOP showed her tail shortly after dinner. She cried all over MO (she leaks a bit and of all the times to rain, yesterday was the day. Plus I have no air conditioning. So we're both sweating and fighting off raindrops as we head, what Mo believes, to be the thousand mile trek to my house. I'm mad apologizing cuz, I would have left her at the hotel if I had known it was going to rain. I'm used to it. I'm going to restore it before I buy another, so it's a labor of love for me. She was cool about it though. Bowling 101 for dummies. Mo talked us into going bowling. I have never bowled in my life. The music was better then any club, that had that 70's club thing down pat. I'm serious, it felt like a flashback into time. It was mad cool though. I don't like to do things I'm not good at so I quit before the end of the second game. It was all for commardorie, and showing love.
Friday:
MO's plane took off, just before the sky exploded with rain...The last three days have been fantastic, filled with friendship, poetry, and love. I will probably spend the rest of the afternoon napping while some movies watch me. I will also catch up on some writing and recitation as the rain waters my yard. Her visit, as always, much like the rain, refreshing and much needed....

1 comment:

Mahogany L. Browne said...

awww. you made me cry! :( did you see the pics i put up? i didnt put up the bowling nasty dances you were doing - i thought'd i save that for a rainy day! LOL thanks for taking such GREAT care of me.