E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2005-06-19

father's day....

My Dad is my sometime, unlikely hero, but I worship the ground he walks upon. He is also my only surviving biological parent. He has had that role for quite sometime. I have attempted in my adulthood to emulate his persona. He, like me, is a legend (in our own minds). Somethings come naturally, particularity talking, talking shit, and talking noise. (Southerners know the difference!) And playing dominos. While he has never met a stranger, I often chose strangers. That's my politically correct way of saying that I am a lot more selective than he. My dad is an accomplished flirt, irresistibly charming, and is smooth as butter on a steamy hot roll. He also has paid dearly for it, four girls before he ever had a son. Like any daddy's girl, I repeatedly became involved and once, slipped in love, with men who had all of his characteristics. They, like him, were also sometime, unlikely heroes in my made for real life dramas. To my Daddy, I love you, Happy Father's Day.
Today, had me in a particularity pensive place. (Can you say it five times really fast?) Ever met someone who just knows how to parent? I think maybe because he was reared in a house full of men, and a Mother who expected nothing less, he became the image of his father and brothers. *(SIDEBAR: His mother is so cute it's ridiculous. You have to see their house at Xmas.) A Man and A Father, this occured probably before he entered his teens. I must note he does not walk on water, but it would only gather around his ankles if he tried, because he can be antagnotistically stubborn. Something I believe he's earned honestly. My dear friend, B (one of my bookends) who serves as my sometime father, brother, uncle, surrogate husband, and at times grandfather has no children. Biologically that is. Yet, I found myself wanting to call him and wish him a Happy Father's Day. Even wanted to buy him a goofy ass tie, an ill humored card and take him out to a buffet. I wanted to do this for two reasons, 1) my dad lives nearly 400 miles away and he is taking care of my ailing grandmother. (Who says sons do not take care of their Mothers?) His wish was for me to stay in Austin (for personal reasons). 2) B is a great frigging childless father. If I were a single mother with no man, hell, I could even have a someone in my life, this MAN would be apart of my child's rearing. Until recently, if he and I had ever found ourselves in a situation where either of us wanted children before we got too old, I would ask him in a heartbeat. If I wanted children in my current situation. DITTO. Well, if his situation was different. I don't know if either of us would follow thru with it, our shared value system would probably keep us from ever making that type of decision, but....you get the jest? Right? Anyway, aside from thinking of my Dad, I thought of him... Langston, Happy Father's Day and I love you.
Hustle, I wish you a Happy Father's Day as well. Baby Hustle is on his way...
Lastly to my GIRLS that serve as a Mother/Father/Parent and continue to hold it down, making a home for their babies. (I don't want your business on the internet, so no names are printed)...... Happy Father's Day, I love you. Especially those of you attempting to rear a STRONG MALE who will soon recognize his strength in being a RESPONSIBLE MAN thru your will for him to become and be BETTER...I admire you, your courage and personal determination....
13......

1 comment:

joey said...

(gulp)...i cried...
love you,
jo