E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2005-04-19

PERSONAL POETRY CD LISTENING PARTY

Currently, I am about to take my upteenth break from editing some documents and completing a close out on an audit. NEEDLESSTOSAYIMATWORK... Today is my personal poetry cd listening party, I listened to Mo Browne and Jive Poetic earlier during the day. I am listening to Taalam Acey's "Pieces of Change" Disc 2.. Aura No. 2: Withdrawal is currently playing. It's a pretty hot track. I was definitely feeling Disc 1, particularity "Depth Poetry" and "Heat". I got to check him out, along with Mo Browne and Jive Poetic over the weekend at the Austin International Poetry Festival. Actually, I was able to share the stage with these fine poets.... my pencil, to their pen. In other words, I did well, ... but I'm learning to hold my own. Mo as beautifully descriptive as ever, her piece about the brother's walk is beautifully well written... and live, you almost don't recognize it.... on the cd it has beats, which is hot, but to hear it live is absolutely spell bounding.... ...... Jive, plays with words like Jordan plays basketball. That brother is the epitome of wordsmith..... Taalam is all over the place with his.... I mean he's ripping some poet's and their art apart.... but as always the brother is on point. Damn...... "Picture This" is a must hear. Not because I am familiar and or know these poets am I biased. This is some of the best shyt I've heard in a minute..... 'cept, I did pick up a copy of QwaZim "3 Days and Waiting" by my man Marc Marcel's, this is his new effort, a few weeks ago... (a must have) and Korrega (Houston, TX) who 1) not only produced one of the cuts on Mahogany's last cd, which was recently receiving mad air play on DR Ghetto Skum (windows media radio) a few months back.... but 2) is also one of the hottest poets/producers of spoken word right now. I got mad love for the spoken word artists that are putting it down.... I know on digital cable they play a bit of spoken word on Sunday mornings..... I wonder what would happen if they replaced one poet for every 5 whack-ass singers or rappers, what would happen? You'd have radio that people would actually want to hear. Remember people Ceelo Green did poetry over beats before Goodie Mob and Trick Daddy..............

1 comment:

Mahogany L. Browne said...

love the commentary... and not just because you are giving me so much love! :) think you have a winner. poetry reviews by 13know? no?