E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2008-08-12

NPS 2008

I had hoped I had it in me to recap the entire week day by day. I don't. There are some things I'd rather keep to myself. Yes, it was that good. Even more, magical. I want to thank the team for allowing me to be a small part of their success, and no matter what anyone says or believes it was a success.
Monday Hi-lights

  • registering at the host hotel and seeing everyone again.
  • Damn it was good to enjoy NPS away from Austin, it had been too long (2 years).
  • seeing Mo's big ass wide smile.
  • Dasia Kelly
  • Walking through downtown Madison aka Pleasantville
  • hooking up with Oakland, even if for a minute
  • promises of clubbing with Mona (San Fran) and Original Woman (Slam Nuba)
  • clicking with the other Texas Teams
  • Lovely recognizing and calling me and Chelle out on the street! (2006 finals STAND UP)
  • missing most of the opening party
  • riding back and forth around the corner screaming Texas in the SUV!
  • secretly hating on, but loving them nonetheless, Denver Slam Nuba for being almost as sexy as us in all their scooterific glory!

Tuesday Highlights

  • Supporting TEAM AUSTIN AP!!!! they fought hard.
  • Slam Nuba's (we cut heads) and their unrelenting thrashing at the Orpheum
  • Maze Forever... I could be his stalker.
  • Charlotte's Pendulum Poem. OH MY GOSH!
  • Ian's Pizza.
  • Mango Margarita's at Frida's
  • Late night talks with Angel
  • Hanging with the team.
  • Rookie Slam

Wednesday Highlights

  • B and I wearing our I "heart" DC shirts, before the bout with them.
  • Beating DC Baltimore with little, if any question and without looking over our shoulder.
  • walking about a half mile to go see Austin's second bout, but missing the bout of all bouts to do so.
  • talking to Original woman most of the night during the bout. sister is amazing.
  • sneaking over to the other venue and listening to the poem by the "other" Charlotte Team. "Let's fall in love like white people!" It was hilarious.
  • Listening to Scott Woods do "Cho". That was magnificent.
  • Late night talks with Angel. That is my girl!!!!!
  • Dinner at Jamerica. Man it was gooooood!
  • The love that was shown to us by the other teams during our bout before their bouts. Thanks Austin and NuYo
  • Did I say winning the bout. Our set: team-I Am Poetry, Jono-Eternity Rising, B/Jono-2 Brothers, and Faye-Transdance
  • Erotic slam and meeting Mason. He was weirdly funny.

Thursday Highlights

  • Winning our BOUT DECISIVELY! four rounds of individuals!!! Set - Faye-I Never Sleep Alone, Jono-MapleSap, Brian-Struggle and Chelle-Vee-Dubs. In case you didn't know that was Neo-Soul History.
  • The Vancouver chant after each time penalty "you rat bastards, you're ruining it for everyone, but it was well worth it!
  • The Shannon tribute and sitting with Shelia. I lost it. But found it. Missy's love and support of the team and us as individuals. Dang girl, I loves you....
  • The Sisterspeak reading was weak, but enjoyable.
  • Teasing Angel on the street. She is so my sisterfriend, and "social". (LOL)
  • Ian's pizza
  • Getting kicked off Frida's porch.
  • We're in semi's beaches!!! yes I meant it that way, and we are ranked 5th in the nation.

then somewhere in the night, a log drops on our heads. actually the following morning. after slammaster's meeting we are not bouting against who we thought.

Friday's Highlight's

  • Slammaster's meeting, man there are some vindictive, racist people in the world, it's funny.. for real. and yes it was a highlight to watch each attempt FAIL.
  • Finding out that we are in the "bout of all bouts" NY Louder Arts, NY NuYo, Berkley, and Silver City which is actually the dang ALBQ team from 2005.
  • Standing in our words. Standing in our words.
  • Poets of record.
  • Jono's entry into the adult world.
  • B's desire to help that happen.
  • Shannon's tribute.
  • Group night finals.
  • Oh my gosh the sperm in the balcony, just keep swimming Chicago Mental Graffiti is off the chain.
  • watching some poets see neo just a little different. Whoever is on the team and whoever coaches, please follow the path this team had laid.
  • Berkley's my third eye steal and people recognizing they stole it from us!
  • The Open Mic on the State Street. That was the best, I LOVE OHIO!!!! I got to hear Donielle's "girl scout" piece among some amazing poetry! Prolly the best of the best and it was love. Dave H even did the Superman Ali piece! That night was the best of the week.

Even though we did not make it to finals. We did. No one really remembers who won, but they remember Jono's piece. I am happy that he trusted us to allow that moment to occur. I love this team like Fam. you guys worked hard when you needed to and it showed. Thanks for expanding your box and purpose in this WORLD!

tomorrow finals night.

6 comments:

Name: Matthew Guenette said...

ezk--thanks for hitting my blog. i was actually venue manager at teh comedy club the night austin won its first bout, eding out berkely in overtime...

i thought andy's poem was simply genius--and i though austin was consistently the best group i saw all week, better than everyone every time (though i have to give the nod to ny louder arts in that final...)

it was a privelage...lotta love on that stage; i'm more a page poet (though i try to bring the stage into every poem), but my patience with page poets wears thin when it comes to meeting the audience...

all the academic poets should get off their asses and attend the slam--and see what it means to connect....

thanks for stopping by the blog. stop in again; i'll be sure to do the same...

Name: Matthew Guenette said...

btw--

are you in contact with andy buck? if so, is there a way you could help me get a copy of his texas poem? i teach a creative writing workshop, and would love for my students to read his poem...

Vocabulous said...

I love your hight light reel of the week of nats kudos dear. I am glad I was there for some of those moments.

Vocabulous said...

I am glad I was there to see some of those moments with you... you wrote a good highlight recap. woo hoo!! Yeah I was jealous of the Nuba transportation method too.

Anonymous said...

I am glad I was there to share some of these moments with you and just witness the occur... also I was jealous of the nuba method of transportation... even though I had a rental car. ha ha

Ebony Stewart said...

Glad ya'll had a good time and represented.