E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2006-09-10

Damn Tweet. I blinked Baby!

5 Reasons Friday, September 8, 2006 was like The Big Chill (or better)!
1. Burning Bush (Earth, Wind and Fire) vs. A Whiter Shade Of Pale (Procol Harum)
2. Earth Wind & Fire vs. Motown
3. Giddings, Texas vs. Beaufort, North Carolina
4. Poets/College/Track/Hometown Buddies vs. 7 College buddies
5. 60 + preacher clearing his throat.... Laughs...
No seriously.... We had a Big Chill Friday of sorts. Very bittersweet reunion, but what a reunion it was. It felt good to be around friends and family. And everyone who was suppose to be there was there. It was good to have my bookends and pain in the butt back (B-Fran, Lovie and K.A.). We even had a funeral laugh moment despite our grief, just like the friggin movie, man.... Mo, no son, no joke, I walked away from that experience a newer person..... That gratitude list is so damn important. Friends like family, sometimes you don't always chose that shit just happens and it happens for a reason. In my meanness I have denied people because I was afraid to be hurt, but I realized Friday night, it hurts more NOT TO HAVE THEM IN MY LIFE THAN TO HAVE THEM. His parents loving my words for him and them. DAMN.... Seeing Jono... Erica being right there. Where? Right there. Looking at Michelle's beet red face as KA cracked on the preacher (during the service).. "Not that you take scores in a funeral, but Kim you mathed the preacher." Was what he said to me, Lord only knows what he said to Michelle. B's acknowledgment of his selected family during the processional... The pride and the love in his face and eyes.... Turing around to see John Crow and Chris Mike fight back laughter and share a moment... Watching my "Brothers" all of them find strength in each other. And watching Jo V. Be there for him in a way I never really gave her credit for. And she did it.... Well. And I thanked her. There are somethings a Best Friend can't do.... Even when he calls you Sister. Thank God we both knew that much. Oh my gosh, Baby Boy.. Trey, you picked the perfect song.. I could not have done it without you. Really. Thanks. Angel and Dora even David, going past their comfort level to be there for a friend. Ebony, being there for your Man. WOW. Praying Angel gets it right this time.... Ms. Jackson taking me to get "beat up". Erica bouncing Love and the look upon her face... Priceless. Chris Lee spitting my favorite piece... Herman beating me in dominoes? He beat me and talked shyt. Watching Skuddar's expression when he realized another dude had his suit on. Damn that's love. Playing dominoes and getting drunk, exposing a funeral party to poetry, listening to Tweet dj his own life's celebration..... The Big Chill didn't have shyt on us...

5 comments:

Angel said...

that was indeed a helluva friday huh? even in death, tweety surpassed all of us... djing his own homegoing celebration? priceless!

Shelle said...

damn you said it...hurts more not to have 'em there, yes baby yes.
it was one helluva day/night.
felt a lil guilty at first,laughing during the service, but could feel Tweety bugging his eyes out and even saying what the hell!!
no we couldn't of even written a better chapter for our life that precious day.

CousinSarah said...

I'm glad B had the support he did. Sounds like you all were just what he needed. I wish I had been there.

Ebony Stewart said...

I really wish we couldve stayed for the celebration afterwards. And I myself couldn't find it in me to have David go alone...wanted to be there for you, him, and B...just in pressence if nothin else.
I wish you would've looked over by us, cause David was really acting up about the pastor. They couldve at least had some water up there for the man if his throat was so parched. LOL

joey said...

beautiful summation... thank you, agree on all, didn't realize you all were back there cuttin' up but i shoulda known!