E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2006-01-18

To Boon or not to Dock.. That is the ?

To Boon or not to Dock.. That is the ?

I guess there is a reason I don't have children. As a child I was precocious, curious, seemingly intelligent, deliberate in speech and behavior, as well as outspoken. Am unsure if this was a result of DNA or environment. I believe these characteristics are for the most part healthy. Sure, there were some subjects I was not to broach, and when I did, I knew when to whisper or be boisterous.

I had the opportunity to watch "The Return of the King" this past Sunday's episode of The Boondocks. I don't have to be convinced that Aaron McGruder, the creator of this EDITORIAL, let's not be insulting and call it by any other name, is arguably one of the most intelligent Black Men in America, it not one of the most intelligent MEN in the World. The method in which he brings the black community's state and concerns to the forefront are uncanny and unparalleled. Which brings me to my next point. Let's bridge..

I have friends who, by all accounts, will not allow their teenagers to watch the show, but will allow them to listen to Wrap music. Yes, I spelled it with a w on purpose. Wrapped, as the most popular songs wrap us in ignorance. And I am guilty of it as well, as I love that damn Whistle Song. When asked, each responded with, "Well, the content is too strong. N%gga this, n%gga that. It's an adult cartoon, that's why it's on adult swim." My thought is this, they put parental warnings and suggestions on cds and dvds, and parents allow them to watch and listen to that crap. And the video games, don't get me started. With one child I had a special interest. I have been guilty of allowing him to watch the show. We enjoyed it, had an opportunity to discuss the subject matter, while cracking adolescent jokes. However, he, being the type of child described earlier, got the message.

Last night, while I watched the final three minutes or so of The Boondocks. I thought of him, and was again reminded of how important the message was. When the cartoon character deplicting MLK Jr described and defined "Nigga." I wanted to stand up, clap, run naked around the room, screaming at the top of my lungs, echoing the sentiment.... Well, a few drinks will also prompt this behavior.. I digress... It was profound. The images of the MLK Jr. character attending the MTV Awards Show presenting with Puffy, was, I hate to say it, all too true if the man were alive today. And ohh, don't get me started on the Grandpa Freeman and Rosa Parks scene... I applaud anyone who is willing to say there were MANY MEN AND WOMEN who contributed to that moment in history... Including a teenage girl, who by all accounts was not given credit for her contribution because she was an unwed mother who did not fit the profile... Again I digress.

While I respect my friends opinions and requests, it is difficult for me not to view them differently. I question why would you allow your_____________ (fill in the blank) to prevent you from allowing your children to truly see the world. The Boondocks are just another way of viewing our world, and while it is not rose colored, I truly appreciate it's ability to challenge my view. It's the mind that often prevents us from seeing clearly. Sometimes, as a people, we allow our own biases, fears, and desire to assimulate define us. We often take it a step further by wanting to shield our children from things they are probably already aware of. And could probably give you more information than you would want from various subjects. I recall a conversation a male friend had with his daughter about sex. He was too thru... Weekly I truly thank the commentary of the characters, gives me something to talk about the next day at work, gives me something to think about. So this week I say thanks Huey...

Onto a more unintelligent note.... Priceless moments from American Idol: "The proof's in the paper!" "I want to talk to you about your tan." "Are we going to have a bigger stage." "I'll let him go on to Hollywood, because when you get there he's going to cut you." "You should shave your facial hair and put on a dress." And the Patti sequel was, well, let's say it had me running....


3 comments:

CousinSarah said...

SAY THAT SHIT DAMMIT!

That is all I have to say to prevent a novel.

Mahogany L. Browne said...

i am at a fork in the road of this new phenom that mcgruder has created. while the cartoon strip is ingenious - i think the cartoon is lacking in conscious and sustenance...(sp?)

there are no moments where huey tells his brother to stop saying the "N" word -- and now they even have him saying it. that noted: where is the barrier of common sense and elevation?

furthermore, this cartoon reaches far more homes than the news clips ever did -- with a lesson missing.

i think it has a lot of funny elements. but then there are some key things missing. i wonder -- if you check the stormtroopers website (aryan nation) would they applaud our efforts of speeding up the mental strangulation process...?

my coffee is always said...

Point well taken Mo. I too am disappointed at the turn that Huey appears to have taken as it relates to the use of the N-word. Perhaps it is int he irony of it all. I beg to differ on the lesson. While there have been some that were strictly entertaining, with little if any to walk away with... even in those "rare" instances, there was a glimmer of hope. Remember the description of the "N%gg@" moments? And no, I do not believe it to designed to change the world, but I do believe that the commentary and the use of animation as a medium is highly effective. I challenge you to look at a few episodes again.