E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2006-01-20

they asked me for my autograph..


i have the shape of my mother's eyes, height, sharp tongue and insatiable thirst for love..
she would say I wore his swagger like a tight sweater, had the tendency to be voiceless braggart..
his simple air of arrogance hidden behind feigned innocence.
he, both dads would look at me, and see
the only woman who loved them completely, they would never see me..
yet she would say I had the need to cling, and love as hard as he,
and in relationships..
she'd say, baby-girl, take it so, don't fall in love so quickly,
but he both dads would look and me,
the love of their lives, they would never see me...
but none of that matters, and i'll tell you why.
excerpt from inheritance. kdtaylor 2006 all rights reserved
section 8 coffee publications...

Today, I went to Winn Elementary School and did a show with a few poets and a poet/martial artist. It was a very humbling, yet truly gratifying experience. It was also somewhat painful as I caught a glimpse of myself in the audience. A knowledge starved, yet bored nine year old, waiting to be freed from... well, just freed from these things that haunted me. Things that continue to haunt. When I was in the fourth grade, ms. fleming handed me a pencil and a notebook, and asked me to write about the things, the stories I was so willing to share with others. in my discomfort, i talked. a habit that exists to this day. (i really don't like to talk, i just don't want to think or remember) and i talked about everything, often entertaining my friends, but mostly myself in an effort to escape. she believed i had a gift to share with the world. well, i am unsure of the world, but i am willing ot share it with a small portion of it. and today i did that. i got to entertain kindergarten thru the fifth grade. it was absofckingmazing... it really was. and i gave a shot out to the kids who got U's. unsatisfactory for talking too much, for dreaming, for being themselves... and uh. no it did not go over well with some teachers, but the better ones knew, like i told the kids you have to get your story out. and you know what? it brought a smile not just to my heart, but upon their faces.... especially as they asked me for my autograph, and what i wished i had done, was ask them for theirs.....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think it's great that you went to expose our youth to spoken word... i'm sure many a poet was birthed from that experience...

look forward to seeing everyone real soon...

chris s

Shelle said...

awww i bet those lil faces were mesmerized...i know u touched them. they will remember u for sure...and if just one poet was born, or bloomed from your interaction w/them....then your purpose was served

CousinSarah said...

You inspire 13. It is one of the gifts those who hear and read your writing recieve.

Your experience sounds amazing. I am glad you had the time for reflection and awareness...even when it's painful...well you know this...it teaches us where we were and where we ned to go.

You helped some of them identify and find themselves in that moment. Wonderfully you.

bRandy said...

well i think it goes without saying that i think those kiddos were lucky to have been in your presence...and i have gained enough respect for children over the years to know that you too were lucky to be in theirs. happy birthday G3--i may be a few days late on the blog with it, but you know you were in my thoughts and heart. we are all blessed to have had you for another year and hope for many, many more...
-B