E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2005-07-11

Yes, I missed you also.....

It's been a while. I have been on travel status and attempting to complete the tasks which allow me to pay bills and eat. This past week has been full of poetic adventures and life's lessons.
1) I have learned that my people meter is broken!
When I had the time, I once read people well. Until recently, I was a lot more cautious. I am working on myself, I am in love and I am a part of a poetry collective. So I can't always be my BITCH SELF in some situations. Anyway, I ignored my average response, tried to be "nice" and made a "mindful" mistake in befriending someone. I am now hardpressed to take serious action and self correct as quickly as I can. HINT: There are very few people I want to talk to daily, a list of the obvious three, GOD, DAD and ELM. Then there's my girls Love and Jai, we catch up daily. The only other person I would talk to that much is my boy B, but he does not do the phone well at all.
2) Some people take SLAMS much too serious!
Participated in the ALL - Texas INDY Slams in San Antonio this weekend. Got 4th on Friday, won a bottle of wine which I gave to Rialistic (COOL SA Poet) as a belated birthday present. I didn't make it out of the first round on Saturday night, despite an impressive first round score of 29.1. There were four 30(s) in the first round. It was a great night of poetry, got to see Queen Sheba before she hits our spot on Wednesday. And seldom do I get to catch talent from across the state, so I milked in the words and performances. Other poets pouted and complained that the judges were scoring too high... For those whiners I say "BOOOOO!"
3) Never do a homosexual piece in the slam off against my boy FLUKE!
Joaquin was damn good, but let's say Fluke told him and showed him about "street boy poets" and may have convinced Joaquin to retire his piece. (They were both good and it was THE BET SLAM OFF I'VE SEEN THUS FAR.)
4) Krissi Reeves and Mike Whalen can ride with me anywhere!
Good conversation, good poetry, good chicken. Krissi ripped a piece in the car that shows she is far more diverse, then her stage persona. Not just comedic, for those who are not familiar with her. Really wanted to hear more, but she was tired. And Funky Mike, well, as Jay Z would put it "What More Can I Say?". Mike was also one of the poets who scored a well deserving 30 on Saturday night.
5) And love, does, literally coming knocking at your door when you least expect it!
Let's just say, I had a thought, then my morning prayer, and immediately afterward the prayer was answered. Sunday morning was more then I could ask or hope for. It was a perfect way to start my week.

So much more to say, but so little time to say it in.....
holla

2 comments:

still grooven said...

good seein you last night, 13. it was a kick ass night fo sho. congrats on the slam and on getting back to your blog. i promise to get to mine in the coming days. gotta get thru this wedding first. then exhale. (or vomit... we'll see...)
all love,
shia

Mahogany L. Browne said...

cant wait to see all this madness in texas! people talk'n my ear off bout a spot named NEO SOUL! say word...