E. Zora Knight

My photo
a special order, straight queer and strong black.

2005-06-07

Brown eyes for sure, but is it an apple or a mango?

I, months from dust,
in the fall of my life
feel your waning spirit
slip thru fingertips
which print the essence of you
upon my core.
I recognize and taste the nectar
of our past lives
upon the rise in your cheek.
I catch recognition in your eye.
you remember,
that in third life we held
forever within the clutch
of our fold.
that our heartbeats beat
simultaneously
synchronizing
harmonious spirits.
our cycles
transcend, permeate
this lifetime.
when I close my eyes,
sit in silence
allow myself to remember,
I become lost in the brown of yours.
I find solace..
stilled, I feel the ground
move under my feet,
hear the first heartbeat
of the newborn I am about to become
I will search for you in dreams
of our next life together
sunrise, sunset, moonlight,
metamorphosis.......
FADE2BLACK
Ring. Ring. Ring.
"Hello?"
"Wazup?"
"Nothin much."
"Happy Birthday, Fool. What you doing tonight?"
"Going to my surprise party/happy hour."
"How do you know about that?"
"Long story.... Watcha been up to? Long time no ear.. Hold on someone's on the other line. Man, who is this text messaging me. Someone I don't know, 'cuz Sprint makes me pay for this mess."
"Who is it? You readin' it."
"You asking a lot of questions.."
"Hey you still hangin' with.."
"Hell no. Never was, just something to do. This will probably be the last time we hang real tough. Totally unavailable, too much trouble, it feels shady at times. A cancer. And you know I follow horriblescopes when it comes to that type of stuff. Aquairians and Cancerians do not mix. Not in the cards. So it was never what you thought. Maybe at a different time, it may have been."
"Yea, whatever."
"No, I'm serious. Just can't afford for people to continue to get the wrong impression. I am not THAT SHADY. Hold on... Watdahell? Another text. They couldn't be turning my phone off. I paid the bill."
"That's what they all say."
"We still talking ain't we?"
"That does not sound like a St. Mary's graduate."
"Prairie View, you have a way of bring out my inner negro. Let me call you back. You know I'm curious to know who this is... or better yet what this is about."
"Have a good time tonight. 'Bout time you get your tail out of the house. Happy Birthday."
"Later."
TEXT MESSAGE: HAPPY BIRTHDAY. SORRY, I CAN'T MAKE IT TONIGHT. ____________
DELETE MESSAGE
TEXT MESSAGE: IT'S ________________. I FORGOT TO LEAVE MY NAME. I BET YOU'RE WONDERING WHOSE TEXTING YOU.
CALL
Ring. Ring. Ring.
"Hello."
"Hi."
"Happy Birthday. How are you?"
"Thanks. I'm doing well. How about you? This is a surprise."
"I'm okay. I bet you were wondering who was texting you."
"At first I didn't know. Since it was only a number and message. No name. But when you sent the second text. I realized who it was."
"Oh, okay. Well, I texted you to tell you that I couldn't come to your happy hour."
"It's cool. I really don't want to go myself. Kind of tired."
"But they are surprising you. I know. I love them for it. That's why I'm going."
"Isn't it now? You're late to your own surprise party?"
"They hired the wrong help. Naw. Something happened so the crew is running late. Thanks for calling."
"Yea. Alright. Goodbye."
"Good-bye."
Dialtone.
FADE2BLACK

2 comments:

CousinSarah said...

13, I think that is the best peice you have written of the ones I have ever seen. Rivals the one about your grandmother for sure.

bRandy said...

beautiful...no more words...simply beautiful.
-bRandy